LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Hardcore Modeling!: 30 Days, 30 Models: Platinum

08-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey dudez,
Got the first model for the competition done:

Model: Screwdriver.
Time: Hour and a half.
Description: Just a random weird screwdriver i had in my toolbox.

Side views:

Comment and crits are always welcome:).

Good luck to everyone participating in this great competition:).

08-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Looks great, and yes that is a strange little screwdriver. My only small crit would be that the blinn makes the handle look real nurbish.Nice coarse area in the middle there, it really balances it out.

08-21-2006, 04:24 AM
Wow, looking good.

08-21-2006, 05:44 AM
perhaps the most detailed model so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how your thread progresses.

08-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Nice but weird looking screwdriver.
Nurbs looking a little to soft on the handle. Maybe a loop cut here and there and done.
Nice level of detail.

One thing - the screws are looking like drills to me.

08-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Good model! But like prayas said, your screws look like drills.

Anyway... goodluck with completing the challenge!

08-21-2006, 02:24 PM
pdude, could you give a quick explanation of how you modeled the rough looking part of the screwdriver? I'm modeling a guitar and thats the same look that I want to achieve with the knobs.

Looks great by the way. Though, I agree with everyone else that the handle looks a little off. Mabey that's just how it is.

08-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys:thumbsup:, I agree that it looks kinda soft and that its very weird
but that how it is:D...very uncomfterble to hold though, too bad i dont have a working

Mike - There are several ways of modeling it...some yield better results then others, But
a quick and painless technique is by extruding a tessellated mesh:

Hope that answers your question, But if not then dont hasitate to post again:).

08-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Hehe, well that was rediculously simple. I love it, thanks.

08-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Oh wow, nice. I just made a tiny triangle and duplicated it with a 9 degree rotation until I had the full circle. Your technique looks much more accurate and well... easier.
I guess that's what this is for... learning. Thanks for posting that!

08-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey dudez,
Sorry for not posting for a while, My 20 gig HD started showing signs of retirement
during an online game of Battlefield 2 so I had to replace and reinstall everything.
Anyhow heres an update:

Model : Camera
Time : 6 hours
Description : Modeled from a single mesh at subdivision 2, Rendered at 3, All of the holes
were done with the regular cut tool.

Side Views:

Next model: Turtule statue.
I will download Vray trial and start making other renders then just regular skylight\Light tracer.
I need to hurry up with the models so probably the next few ones after the turtule statue
will be smaller models.

Good Luck to anyone competing :) .

08-31-2006, 11:34 AM
really neat work dude! show us more:thumbsup:

09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
This is an FYI:
HCM: 30 Days: Message for thos who did LESS than 10 entries (Best Individual Entry) (

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.