LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Vue5 Boxed or download version ?

08-19-2006, 06:22 PM
I am about to buy Vue5 Infinite (looking forward to a free Vue6 upgrade), but haven't decided yet about the download or boxed version.
I can get the boxed version from a local reseller for 699 euros, while the downloaded version is 620 without printed manual, or about 670 + shipping when ordering a printed manual in addition.
The boxed version, however, is not in stock. So it might take a while before I even get my hands on practicing with Vue5, while I could get started with the downloaded version.
The good thing about the boxed version is that I then have "official" disk, manuals ... and a box, while the download version will require me to burn my own CD and make it look as if it might have been a pirated version.

But then again, the free upgrade to Vue6 is also only available as download, so what is the benefit of ordering a boxed Vue5 ?

Any comments are welcome.

( just to let off some steam : why is the price in euros the same as dollars, while there is a difference in currency, it's 20 percent more expensive this way )

08-19-2006, 08:33 PM
seriously, if you´ve bought the dl version it´s paid for, doesnt matter if someone else might think you´ve illegaly dl it, it´s bought and paid for, so with the difference in price being what it is i would vouch for purchasing the dl version.

saves you s&h aswell, which in € is quite noticable.

08-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Hi there...

I have also purchase the dl version and its fine...burnt it to disk..registered it got the serial sent to me by email..all is good. It cost me almost $800 Australian...The good thing is you get it straight away..Takes a bit of time to dl...almost an hour...Cant wait for 6....E-on sould also provide an image for the disk so we can print it onto the disk, with possibly a coment on the image saying "Download Version". and you would have to be registered to get it.

08-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the info.

The s&h would be nill, as the price I mentioned (699 euros) is the local price and no additional taxes, customs, shipping, etc ... are to be paid.

As for the download, Vue5 comes on 2 CD, so it must be about 1GB to download. I hope Vue6 won't come out on DVD, requiring multi-gigabytes to be downloaded.

Anyway, I think I'll order the download version then. Thanks for your suggestions.

08-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Sorry to correct you..the download is about 500mb...its just that its slow when dling..Oh and when you finish the dl you get the serial by email..then you register. you can then get all the fixes and updates for also get a 50$ voucher for cornucopia to download stuff, however everything that is good to dl (like trees and tools) is not eligable for the voucher..

08-20-2006, 12:10 PM
500MB for Vue5 ... and an additional 300MB for the second CD, isn't it ?
About 800MB for the Vue5 CD set, guessing that will be a lot more for Vue6.

How does the Australian dollar compare to the US, is it still half value (as was the case around '98 if I remember correctly) ? If I purchase the boxed version locally for 699 euros, I would have paid US$ 830. If I order the boxed version from the website I then pay 720 euros + shipping + customs (which can be 30 to 50 percent) ... it will end up above the US$ 1000 for sure.

08-20-2006, 12:55 PM

I didnt get a second cd..just the 500mb...not sure why...when you go to download you get a link click on it and tiny download program starts.. and a serial is sent... thats it. Its about 70 cents for every us $..vue cost $579 Us which was $762 Aud..go to google and search "currency conversion" and use one of the links to convert.
try this one...

should be 452 Euro @ $579 Us. for download version (The boxed version was about $20 more and I'd say extra for s&h)..unless its different when purchasing from europe.
699 euro is $895 Us and $1100 Aud ?

08-20-2006, 01:08 PM
According to the website you need to purchase the second CD separatly (only for the download version).

All prices mentioned on the website (using euro as currency) are ex-VAT.
Vue5 (download) costs 496 euros (ex-VAT) => including VAT (21 percent) that would be 600 euros.
The extra CD is only 17 euros + VAT (why need to buy a separate second CD, while the boxed version has both ?).

08-21-2006, 06:38 AM
One advantage of a DL version not mentioned is the shelf space you will still have, I have from Vue 3 in boxes & they take up loads of space not to mention Photoshop etc..

I have one shelf full of boxes...:scream:

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2006, 06:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.