View Full Version : Atlantis: untitled wip

jhuerta
08 August 2006, 12:30 AM
Here's my shot at the challenge. The image is still in transition, so any crits or comments are welcome. I'm going for a recently sunk Atlantis, doomed by volcanic activity. There are some amazing images here, it's great to see the many takes on this subject.

Good Luck everyone!

jhuerta
08 August 2006, 11:10 PM
I tried to better integrate the elements from the last painting. I think it is more successful than the last version. If I had another week.... lol!

jhuerta
08 August 2006, 08:46 PM
So, leave a monkey in a room with Photoshop too long, and.... He'll keep noodling the graphic to death. Anyway, had a little more time, so I added some more detail, texture etc.

jhuerta
08 August 2006, 09:05 PM
Final with title.

jhuerta
08 August 2006, 09:24 PM
Various reference photos used, and some close up detail.

mordecaidesign
08 August 2006, 01:24 AM
Great job. Good luck to you man. I wish you would've had more time to finish this.
Something that I found helpful with my matte was de-saturating my brick and stone elements so that I didn't have too much stray color all over the place. I think if you would have done that then you could have applied adjustment layers later and came up with a more uniform look. Your lave looks just luke-warm. Try adjusting the levels on that layer to burn out the bright spots to make it glare a bit more.

jhuerta
08 August 2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the input! I agree with you, it is splotchy in places. I'll probably continue to work on it just for kicks. Yeah, the lava was a beast, I was trying to think how it would look underwater... I'll try giving the glow more intensity. Thanks again for the advice!
I really like your entry! Great sense of drama and staging. Nicely done!

Moysh
08 August 2006, 04:16 PM
Potential idea and composition-wise makes rooms for many details and improvements.
The color for the broken sculpture in the foreground and the 4 statues far in the background need to be more blueish to be cohesive with the hue of the rest of the painting.

Good luck! :)

jhuerta
08 August 2006, 07:08 PM
Yes, I think the color of the statues isn't working with the rest of the compostion. There is much yet to do I think. Thank you for the suggestions, it really helps me to improve my work!

CGTalk Moderation
08 August 2006, 07:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.