View Full Version : Render Pass Order?

Sbowling
06 June 2006, 07:26 AM
Is there a way to control which order render passes are rendered in? I've searched on this, but can't find any info.

Thanks!

visualboo
06 June 2006, 01:42 PM
Not to my knowledge.

You could try adding a number in front of the pass name.

1_beauty
2_spec
3_shadow
4_ao
5_reflection

dwigfor
06 June 2006, 08:27 PM
Is there a way to only render a couple of the passes? Options are only for All or Current..

Sbowling
06 June 2006, 12:18 AM
Is there a way to only render a couple of the passes? Options are only for All or Current..

That was going to be my next question. :)

withanar
06 June 2006, 12:23 AM
Filter your explorer to passes, then select only the passes you want to render.
Render current pass should then render all of the ones in your selection.

dwigfor
06 June 2006, 06:14 AM
Thanks Brad.

leigh
06 June 2006, 07:10 AM
Is there a way to control which order render passes are rendered in? I've searched on this, but can't find any info.

Thanks!

I was rather curious as to why you asked this? Why would you want to control which order the passes are rendered? :curious: Is it so you can render the more important ones (like diffuse) first?

CoolCalb
06 June 2006, 11:16 AM
what I do is a little copy/paste script.

switch the script editor to VB, clear the history pane,
switch to the first pass you wish to render, copy/paste the command from the history pane,
into the script editor, hit <enter>
add a line : RenderPass
switch to the next pass, copy/paste the command from the histury pane to the scipt editor,
add another : RenderPass

when your'e done, run the script... :)

smaug
06 June 2006, 12:00 PM
there is a tool in the netview called jbj renderpas tools.

with it you can choose which passes you want to rener and say render selected passes.

in v5 there is also a reorder tools in the explorer you can use it to reorder your passes.

Atyss
06 June 2006, 02:18 AM
I was rather curious as to why you asked this? Why would you want to control which order the passes are rendered? :curious: Is it so you can render the more important ones (like diffuse) first?

Actually I tend to do the opposite. Generally by the "most important ones" I think "the toughest ones", like beauty passes and the likes. So I prefer to let go the easy ones first, so if something happens during the toughest ones, the easiest are still done. Controlling pass order really is a nice thing.

Cheers
Bernard

Sbowling
07 July 2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. :thumbsup:

I was working on a scene on a tight deadline, and rendered it out without motionblur. Once I had a passable scene rendered out, I wanted to render it out overnight with motion blur. I could get away without any motion blur on the shadow and refletion passes (I'm not sure motion blur would even affect these passes), but I wanted to make sure that the main passes would get rendered first and be done by time I got to work the next day.

CGTalk Moderation
07 July 2006, 07:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.