View Full Version : how to do this with maya nurbs modeling

06 June 2006, 08:20 AM
whcih maya nurbs modeling tool or work setps could help
me to finaish this sho bottom pattem structure
i think it wuld very difficult
please help

you can see the attachment .

one guy done it with maya nurbs but i do not know him

06 June 2006, 11:20 AM
i would try it with polygons.

try roughing out the shape and subdividing the face that will have all the bumps on it.

I think doing it with nurbs would be hard and unnecessary

06 June 2006, 04:23 PM
I agree with grimmus. First create the overall shape using a flat polygon, then add edges to define the blocks etc. Then extrude. Should be fairly easy. Saying that, I have NO idea how to even start doing that with NURBS :)

Dr Merman

06 June 2006, 05:56 PM
hmm i agree with grimmus also but you see! if your quite handy in photoshop you can just create that as a nurbs flat surface and pen tool your way to a nice displacement map i do this with all my complex tyres yet it is heafty on your computer and the making of the displacment map will set you back around 2 - 4 hours depending on how well you know it in grey scale and how fast you work! :)

just another option


06 June 2006, 04:48 AM
Looks like a fun challenge using NURBS. I would go about it with boolean cutting to make the squares and then chamfering the corners.

06 June 2006, 02:32 AM
but maya nurbs seems have no chamfer tools
like round tool?
maybe it impossible to do it with maya nurbs

06 June 2006, 05:03 AM
Some apps call it fillet or bevel.

06 June 2006, 07:40 PM
Difficult but not impossible to do worth Nurbs. I'm assuming that polys are out of the question, as well as Sub D (Sub D would be my method of choice). I would then emply a method of blocking out basic shape using planes- using Attach, Detach, and Global Stitch to bring those pieces seamlessly together. Make sure (ofcourse) to match isoparms as you go- rebuild the meshes to keep them clean. The Alias Maya Modelling book 6 has a decent explanation on Nurbs modelling (but the reast of the book sucks).


06 June 2006, 01:36 AM
Some apps call it fillet or bevel.

exactly, use circular fillet for nurbs

you may need to intersect surfaces to fillet

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2006, 01:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.