XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Solid body rigging...and cloned characters

05-25-2006, 02:10 PM
I have 2 questions...both are probably quickly answered.

1) I've started building my rig for my spider lady...and I have all the bones in place and the IK solvers for the legs...now I'm moving on to controllers and helpers and whatnot...but first I'm curious if I even need the big bone thats inside her body...the bulbous spider body part will not deform...only the legs, the human waist will bend, and the spinneret tail MIGHT move...I have a dummy there as a root node...attached to it is the parent bone for each of the 6 legs, the bottom spine bone for the human torso, and the big bone for the body...But I'm thinking I may not need that big bone right? I can just link the spinneret bone to the root dummy and leave the big bone out right?

2) This scene will have two of these spider lady's interacting with each other in both stills and animations...So once I get her all rigged up and skin-weighted...I'm going to clone her. I know max tries to intelligently rename things...so what I did is wrote a maxscript that loops through all selected objects and appends _Widow01 to its name. So now I have for example: Bone_LArm01_Widow01, Bone_LArm02_Widow01, etc...When I go to clone this model and all the bones and IK solvers and whatnot...I assume its going to leave the names mostly in tact and change all the _Widow01's to Widow02's...correct? or am I overlooking some fundamental problem that I'm going to be faced with when cloning an IK capable rig with controllers?

05-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Essentially yes, you dont need a the main bone. But i'd just leave it in for now, as you may need to change the control rig/helpers etc. And by linking it directly to the helper the helper is now part of the skin. Because you gotta skin the body to something?

As for renaming - max uses loose referencing, for instance when using script_controllers/expressions a vector or a scalar can reference a node, a track or even a controller. When you reference a node you can essentially clone that object with its controllers - its referencing will hold up.

Postition and orientation constraints are slightly different - they work in world space and the target wont update cloning the rig. So maybe a script that updates the targets with the new _01 name to - if you have position and orientation constraints.

05-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Currently the only constraint I have is a lookat constraint...not too terribly difficult to setup, so I should be able to recreate it if necessary.

Thanks for the help/advice tho!

05-30-2006, 09:25 AM
your best bet is to make a copy of your file rename your rigg and merge it into your scene. this way you don't deal with the messy ness of cloneing.

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2006, 09:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.