View Full Version : 3DSMAX Eye rig question

Greyfox
05 May 2006, 05:34 AM
Hi,

How do you rig an eye so you can just animate the texture with a control dummy or bones or something so you don't have to create a round sphere with a lookat constraint?
I've seen game developers do this since they are always limited to low poly count.

Can anyone share this technique? Thanks :)

WGerick
05 May 2006, 02:47 PM
My first guess would be, to use the texture coordinates. Your diffuse map channel in the material editor has UV - Offset and angles. You could wire them to the rotation values of a dummy object. However, you should think about your UV - Layout. Since these offsets manipulate the position of the texture in UV space, you may run into problems like distortion, depending on your UVW Map and Unwrap UVW.

Greyfox
05 May 2006, 03:36 PM
I'll go and try to do a wire parameter on the UV offset of the texture material

But would it be great if we can contol a Planar UVW Gizmo and just link it to a bone or to a control dummy? it would cetainly get rid of the stretching on the edges of the eyeballs. I did try and wire the Planar Gizmo and all I was able to achieve was control the Left/right/up/down motion and not the rotation ... so it still resulted in some stretching.

Thanks .. I'll give your technique a try :)

scrimski
05 May 2006, 03:44 PM
Wire the gizmo to a dummy, align the dummy to the eye and use a look-at constraint for that dummy.

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2006, 03:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.