05 May 2006, 04:26 PM
Hello,

i am trying to move one vertex of an Edge by

listEdges.setPoint(startPoints[i],0,MSpace::kObject);

but it does not work!?

Any Idee why?

tciny
05 May 2006, 06:45 PM
Please paste the entire code thats relevant for that problem and use the MStatus to find out if that step and the preceeding ones actually succeed.

bj1
05 May 2006, 07:23 PM
MStatus says that it succeed.

for ( ; !listEdges.isDone(); listEdges.next())

{

startPoints.append( listEdges.point(0, MSpace::kObject) );

endPoints.append( listEdges.point(1, MSpace::kObject) );

}

for(int cnt = 0;cnt < (int)startPoints.length();cnt++)

{

startPoints.set(cnt,endPoints[cnt].x-0.1,endPoints[cnt].y-0.1,endPoints[cnt].z-0.1);

}

int vertcnt = 0;

for ( ; !listEdges.isDone(); listEdges.next())

{

MPoint pt = startPoints[vertcnt];

listEdges.setPoint(pt.,0,MSpace::kObject);

vertcnt+=1;

}

Robert Bateman
05 May 2006, 11:10 AM
It works perfectly, it just doesn't work in the way you'd expect!

Create a polycube in maya, take at look at the hypegraph for it's connections. You'll notice, a polyCube node, and a mesh node. The polyCube generates a mesh, and passes the result to the mesh object. If you delete a face in the GUI, you'll see that there is a node "deleteFacet" that gets created. Deleting a face/vtx or even moving them is pointless, it wont affect the final geometry because the DG will evaluate a new result for it - and your changes are not part of the DG. You need to insert a node that is responsible for manipulating those points. Take a look at the polyModifier examples in the API for hints on how to do this.

bj1
05 May 2006, 02:43 PM
Thank you so far. Can you please give me an example on how to move a single vertex through API?

tciny
05 May 2006, 06:03 PM
Are you writing a node or mel command?

bj1
05 May 2006, 07:27 PM
i am trying to write a node, of course i am a newbie, so there is a lot to find about get information about geometry, but nearly nothing about modifying...

Robert Bateman
05 May 2006, 09:39 AM
have a look at the polyModifier example in the API devkit, that's probably your best starting point.

bj1
05 May 2006, 10:58 AM
ok now i habe created a geometry, but the problem is that i achieve the geometry like the first one on the picture. But i want a regular geometry like the square. but when i say the polyconnects sholud be 0,1,2,3 i receive the wrong geometry. I know it comes form the orientation and numeration of the polygon, but how can i achieve the right geometry?

bj1
05 May 2006, 11:30 AM
now i changed the connects from 0,1,2,3 to 0,2,3,1 and it works but why?

bj1
05 May 2006, 11:58 AM
ok is it like that:

If i have an Point Array of vier indices (0,1,2,3) with my points 1,2,3,4 and i define in the polyconnects attribute 0,2,3,1 it means that the Vertex with the index 0 is connected to the vertex with index 2, then Vertex with the index 2 is connected to the vertex with index 3, then
Vertex with the index 3 is connected to the vertex with index 1 and finally Vertex with the index 1 is connected to the vertex with index 0.
Is this assumption right ?

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2006, 11:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.