View Full Version : The Weezer

Griswald
05-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Hello all, I just signed up, I look forward to sharing my work with everyone here and learning some new skills. I'm studying Game Art in South Australia, and I decided I should get feedback from people while I'm compiling a portfolio.

This image is a character concept I did for a project called "The Forest of Souls".
Feel free to criticize the hell out of it.

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/225361/225361_1148188069_large.jpg

Naisart
05-20-2006, 05:15 PM
I like it. Especially the ground has some kind of mystic glow too it. Looks realistic in some kind of way. Very cool.

Maybe hinting a forrest in the background would make it more interesting.

Also, I think you should get rid of the black outline and paint the entire image as it doesnīt fit with the BG and it also makes the image look unfinished.

His face is a bit skewd. Expecially the form of his head.

Hope this helps and keep working on it.

Griswald
05-21-2006, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to get past the "paint under the linework" concept art technique that I learned in my course, but I'm not quite there yet. I tend to use fairly loose sketches for my digital painting and then go overboard and try to turn them into masterpieces. This one was a pretty small sketch too, which didn't help it much. When I get the time, I'll probably go back to this and try to fix it up a bit, or make a whole new picture of the same character.

xott
05-21-2006, 06:40 AM
cool concept Griswald, it reminds me of the gas mask men from pink floyd's the wall movie.
I agree with Mumphy on the how the gritty linework of the character doesn't fit with the smooth non-linework of the grass and ground. although I really like the gritty quality that this character has i kinda think that quality should be present in his surroundings to tie the whole painting together. I agree about a foresty background but on that is hazy and foggy, that defining of the background would help to accentuate the misty fog

just my 2 cents but its pretty good

(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&hs=ol1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official_s&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=accentuate+&spell=1)

Griswald
05-22-2006, 04:52 AM
I actually saw a figurine of one of those gas mask men at a hobby store, I'd never seen The Wall before and I was surprised by how similar it looked to my character. I think I may have been influenced by the cover of one of my Mum's CD's, I think it was the Eagles or something.

I'm working on getting rid of the black outline and improving the shading on the image now.

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2006, 04:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.