View Full Version : rig problem 3d max 8

decorix
05 May 2006, 01:45 PM
hello all,

I've setup my rig and it looks like everything is working correct.
I have my bones linked to the ROOT bone. so when I move my ROOT bone
everything moves with it.

I also have a MASTER_CONTROLE..
all my bones & IK setup + dummy controles are linked to the MASTER CONTROLE.

Because I want to render out in fixed position im using the master controle sothat i can move my character back were it started from.

Now comes my problem..
when I start linking bones+ik setup+controle dummies... to the MASTER controle..

all my IK is lost.. so when I move my ctrl_dummy.. bones don't move anymore. its like everything is totally unlinked suddenly :-(
why is this ?

eek
05 May 2006, 12:30 AM
you linking paradigm should be as follows:

bones > driven by IK.

Ik handles >controlled/linked to helpers or shapes

shapes/helpers linked to master control.

if you have a root bone of the skeletons heirachy, only parent this to the master. Dont parent all the bones. So the root, and the puppets controlling the rig.

cheers,

3d2w.john
05 May 2006, 04:51 AM
i think, u can copy ur char with bones and all setup and open a new max file and take all of these part to here.
or , u have to make a new max file, there u have to make all riggin again. i think.try it once man.

decorix
05 May 2006, 06:27 PM
Hello,

thanks for the reply.

I've managed solving one problem and that was linking the ROOT_bone to the placement_controller.... then doing the animation.

I did have one more question which seems to work... I have used a link constraint on the
controle_dummies. this way you can break then chain, but still link it to the parent. This
way i can move the character/animation back to start. I would like to have walkcycle..
fixed position (max8)

have you heard of this?

you linking paradigm should be as follows:

bones > driven by IK.

Ik handles >controlled/linked to helpers or shapes

shapes/helpers linked to master control.

if you have a root bone of the skeletons heirachy, only parent this to the master. Dont parent all the bones. So the root, and the puppets controlling the rig.

cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2006, 06:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.