View Full Version : Crash when startup with sat render

bloodlocust
05 May 2006, 06:07 PM
Hi,

I added another machine (called SLAVE) to the network and installed a slave of xsi for sat rendering. I successfully pointed it to the license server (called MASTER) which is also the machine I open XSI for modelling and initially rendering with. I used usertools to change .ray3hosts to read SLAVE:7003.

Then when I started XSI it gave an unusual error:

---------------------------
SOFTIMAGEŽ XSI
Failed to save scene before system failure.
OK

Then it crashed.

Now each time I start XSI, the same thing happens. If I comment out slave:7003 in the rayhosts file it runs but of course there's no network render. XSI advanced 5.1

Please help!

3DDave
05 May 2006, 06:43 PM
Could be the port number on the slave is wrong. Check the install log on that machine to confirm.

bloodlocust
05 May 2006, 08:40 PM
Hi,

Thanks for replying. I found a log buried somewhere in C:\Softimage\XSI_5.1\Setup called Install.log, and it reads: "Setting service mi-raysat3_4_6_14 at TCP/IP port 7003".

The same line in the same log file is in the main machine (master) as well with the same port of 7003.

3DDave
05 May 2006, 10:04 PM
Ok, that's good but it still sounds like the master is not able to talk to the slave, do you have fixed IP addresses? Did you turn off Windows Firewall?

bloodlocust
05 May 2006, 10:25 PM
Hiya,

I use names "master" and "slave" just in case ip addresses change for instance if the router is rebooted.

Yep I'm running a router and I have no antivirus or firewall. I have nailed the cause of xsi crashing on load though! This is the problem: When I ran the console link on XSI slave, it popped up with an error saying missing "msvcr71.dll". Intrigued, I checked out the shortcut path and it showed it runs "cpuinfo.exe", which crashes when msvcr71.dll isn't present.

I wonder why the slave install option did not install msvcr71.dll? Regardless, copying this over allows XSI to load on master.

** HOWEVER **

Now a new problem. When I go to render, it renders a few mental ray cells on master, and I can see some brief activity on the cpu monitor on slave, then all work halts and XSI freezes totally and I have to ctrl+alt+del.

Am I on the right track?

3DDave
05 May 2006, 11:26 PM
Are you using custom shaders besides the ones in XSI?

bloodlocust
05 May 2006, 09:39 AM
Nope, just the lit_allyway_done scene in the softimage tutorial pack (the one with the neon green arrow sign).

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2006, 09:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.