View Full Version : Randomly turning on lights --

Famsta
05 May 2006, 10:16 PM
I'm doing a small logo animation, with one version of the logo with a small light that lights up behind it. And I want to have many, many copies of the same logo, all with lights randomly turning on as the camera zooms out.

How exactly could I write an expression for the lights? Could I use like Light001, Light002, etc etc, generate random frames for the intensity to come up? I would preferrably like to have the lower numbers come on first, which will be made in the center, and then spread out from there.

Thanks in advance

Stucky
05 May 2006, 10:36 PM
Imagine if you want the light to have a random intensity between 0 and 5 through time. create this expression:

spotLightShape1.intensity = rand(0 , 5);

Is this what you are looking for?

-S

Famsta
05 May 2006, 01:49 AM
Ok, that's a start. But that will just change their light intensity randomly. What i would like to do is randomly designate a time to maybe play a short animation curve of the intensity.

So they will all remain off, until their time is randomly determined, then slowly turn on, and stay on.

I think I have a pretty good idea of a way to get them to randomly determined to be turned on. Now I think the problem I'm having is, if I make an animation of how I want the intensity to be turned on, how do I tell it to play that curve?

Sanctuary
05 May 2006, 03:05 PM
write an expression in which you use a linstep/smoothstep function to control the intensity

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2006, 03:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.