LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : TUTORIAL - Texture Tips in Digital Painting (Photoshop) - by zhuzhu

04-05-2006, 02:33 AM
someone has posted tutorials idea before,want know how to get texture effects in digital,so here is.not really full Tutorials,but tips.

use some texture brush, Photoshop's default brush library has some very nice choice.

in brush cortrol, you also can overlay patteren as brush's texture.

for example:

04-05-2006, 02:41 AM

why start with a white canvas? overpaint maybe will help a lot. start with a texture image,you can get it from web or DC or scaned. add a new layer on the top and start painting. another way is use some old painting, roate it, and do overpaint, learn from Craig Mullins.

04-05-2006, 02:47 AM

scan texture effects from paper.

select something,drag as new layer.try layer blend mode.

04-05-2006, 02:52 AM
Awesome, zhuzhu, thanks for these tips! :thumbsup:

Jack Shannon
04-05-2006, 03:54 AM
Thankyou so much, this was just what I wanted. I will try this out in my tommorows 15 minute skethathon.

04-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Great tips Zhuzhu, your on fire with tutorials :thumbsup:
There is a small texture tutorial on Sparth's site ( it may be worth checking out :D

04-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks very much for these, I've been wondering how to make my digital lines more vivid, now I'll try these brushes for that!

05-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi there, great tutorial...and I really like painting of the face [which looks a lot like Keanu Reeves?]

Anyway...just wondering if you could/would do a tutorial on painting a face like has great dynamics to it, and love the flow of the brush strokes.

I would find it very helpful to see a process where you painted a similar kind of digital painting.

05-23-2006, 04:51 PM
This tips seem to be just the basic step to what you can do with the above named features. I see alot of artists use photo reference for almost all their textures. Nice job and thanks for opening the possibilities up. Gonna be working with the computer more soon so i need all the help I can get!

06-15-2006, 05:32 AM
Thanks a lot for this, very kind of you.

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2006, 05:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.