View Full Version : pod racer setup

Trex2001
03 March 2006, 01:57 PM
hey there,

im trying to setup a pod racer (star wars, of course).

Now what i want the cabel/rope connecting the engine with the cockpit to move as real as possible.

i thought about bones with a spline IK but never used that before. Would that be the right approach or should i use normal IK??

Thanx
Trex2001

csc2h
03 March 2006, 03:35 PM
Ok, ive done a pod racer before...I will not post a complete HOW TO on it because its a little lengthy but not too bad...Basically you use Dynamic Constraints on the pod with Maya's Dynamic system... what I CAN do, is tell you where to find a step by step walkthrough of how they did the podracer in the movies.... there is a book out right now in the "Learning Maya 7" series called THE SPECIAL EFFECTS HANDBOOK.... there is step by step tutorial on how to use rigid bodies to setup a pod racer in this book and its pretty easy to follow...I high recommend getting this book, a lot of very good production information in the book...hope that helps some...

Triple-Q
03 March 2006, 05:51 PM
you can also just make the joints and ik handle and set a key for the cockpit and maybe even a key from pod to the thruster that are connected to the engines.

wigal
03 March 2006, 06:01 PM
I woudl indeed use a spline Ik system.... but also would turn the spline thats drives the bone into a softbody. Then I would connect the resulting particles with springs, one springs system for the rope itself and another to connect the rope to the engine etc....

hope that helps

Trex2001
03 March 2006, 11:53 AM
thanks everybody so far, ill give it a try and see what i get. still open for suggestions, so...

Triple-Q
03 March 2006, 11:22 PM
There is actually a whole dvd about how to make a simple pod racer just like in the movie starwars...

www.digital-tutors.com (http://www.digital-tutors.com/) It was very helpful to me.

this is for the podracer :)

http://www.digitaltutors.com/store/product.php?productid=19&cat=64&page=1

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2006, 11:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.