LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Lightwave 8.0 Detailed Help/Tutorial

Dietrich Faust
03-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Hello. I have been searching the net for lightwave tutorials because it is FAR more complex than the 3d program I have been using (Bryce 5.5). I went and got myself Lightwave 8.0 in hopes I could use it but Im stumped, this program is much more advanced than i would have expected. All the tutorials I have found thus far are rather complex and require a basic working knowledge of something at least the status of Maya 6, as it was stated in a few of the tutorials i downloaded from the Newtek (Lightwave's) website.

So here's my question, can anybody here give me a n00b tutorial for Lightwave 3D, or some detailed instructions on creating something, anything small and easy, like a bouncing ball or something..? Just to let me get the hang of the basics.

Thank's in advance.

03-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Go to the Lightwave Forum there is a section of websites with tutorials.

03-15-2006, 06:23 PM
also not that bad

Dietrich Faust
03-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Thank you for the quick reply you guys. I'll get to working and show you the outcome. Feel free to throw them in if you find any more tutorials.

03-16-2006, 05:10 AM
Hi. Welcome to the world of LightWave!

You should also do yourself a favor and pick up one or both of the following books:

LightWave Essentials by Timothy Albee

Inside LightWave by Dan Ablan

There are other good books specific to LW and if you do a search on these forums you'll come across them. However, the two aforementioned books are great for beginners and beyond.
Personally, out of all the "high-end" 3D apps available (I've used almost all of them) I think LW is one of the easiest to learn.

Have fun!

03-16-2006, 01:58 PM

is this where you went? there's stuff here from the most basic intorduction to the most advanced animation. non-lightwave friends are always stunned when they see how much stuff newtek puts up for free!

it's great fun going up this learning curve!

Dietrich Faust
03-17-2006, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the friendly welcome. I'm a very good CG animator as far as anime and traditional art, which is why I jumped to 3d, there's nothing better than 3d versions of my own characters =). Im picking this program up rather fast, espescially with all the help and tutorials I've been finding. Newtek does have a lot of Tut's I'm looking at too. I've been told I should use Rhino 3D to render. Is it worth it? Or should I just try to find shaders and plugins for LW?

Lost Pencil Animation Studios (
^ I went there, and found some instructional videos for free on basic stuff in the "Free/Download" section. I've realized it's nowhere near as hard as I thought to use LW. I have actually created my first Lightwave object through simple manipulation of a sphere (made a plane). Im thinking now of trying to add a skin to it in photoshop CS, and perhaps do an animation of it flying or something. Going to look for tutorials on that too, lol.

Heres Some Pics

03-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Niice, er... airplane thingy:D

I think my first LW object was a spikey ball or some kind of polygonal lump, so at least you have symmetry going on:)

keep going buddy.

03-20-2006, 05:37 AM
I've been told I should use Rhino 3D to render

If you have it and know it, sure go for it. If the plan is to learn a different/new rendering workflow, LW's is top notch. Weak here, strong there, but top shelf overall.

Im picking this program up rather fast

LW is designed for that as well :), as well as translating that learning curve into some great art.

Good luck!

Dietrich Faust
03-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Thx. I posted in another thread a questioin on transferring that plane to photoshop somehow to add some color to it. Anybody know how?

also, I messed around and tried to make a face

progress here:

This pic here is the type of thing i aspire to create. Great Pic.

Dietrich Faust
04-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Hey guys. Just letting you all know im pretty well off now. I have learned how to do Vertex Coloring on some things through tutorials. Also, I have become accustomed to the hotkeys in LW. I am currently in the process of learning how to create UV maps, which is kind of tough, espescially since I can't devote a lot of time to messing around in LW. Anyhow, I had a quick question, how would I cut/remove part of a poly? As in, to cut the holes out for eye sockets? Is there a tool, knife tool aint working out. If this is a noob question I'll search around till I find the answer. ttyl.

heres a pic of an uzi I made. Im gonna ad some UV mapping and bump mapping to make a nice scratchy, weathered, metallic texture.

Dietrich Faust
04-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Oops. Double Post. Sorry.

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2006, 09:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.