View Full Version : Large Renders vs. OS X Memory Limit?
03 March 2006, 01:20 PM
I'm trying to produce a poster-size render. With this particular scene, though, Camera runs out of memory trying to render above a certain size (in this case, 4500 pixels wide.) This problem seems to be a result of the 2MB limit of RAM that applications can use in OS X.
Is there any way around this? Please advise.
03 March 2006, 03:52 PM
Hi there GM,
first things first, the general RAM recommendation for camera, is, to never set the memory above 1.9gigs (1850 megs or there about).
Second to that, what are your scene stats? We regularly render out full RT GI scenes at 6000x wide with no problems.
On the rare occasions we start to run out of ram in Camera we render over renderama in strips, so maybe try doing that...
How many polys? RT soft shadow lights etc.... When does the 'out of memory' error occur during rendering?
Hope that helps, I'm sure someone else will chime in now that the ice has been broken ;)
03 March 2006, 08:22 AM
I have also found that plug-ins are generally the culprit in these cases. If you can save out any plug-ins into static geometry, that might help.
This used to happen to me with Tree Storm a lot... I got pretty good at doing that... especially in the days of 128 MB RAM. :)
03 March 2006, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the advice.
>first things first, the general RAM recommendation for camera, is, to never set the memory above 1.9gigs (1850 megs or there about).
I actually tried a number of RAM allocations...my machine has 3GB RAM, so I tried alloting 1.5 GB per camera. I still get the error message.
>Second to that, what are your scene stats? We regularly render out full RT GI scenes at 6000x wide with no problems.
The scene stats are pretty manageable. What's odd is that I can render the same scene from a more distant perspective and it works fine (up to 7000px wide).
>On the rare occasions we start to run out of ram in Camera we render over renderama in strips, so maybe try doing that...
I actually tried that first, and it still runs out of memory. I decreased the size until I got to something smalle enough that it wouldn't give me an error message.
As it happens, 4500 pixels was adequate for the client's needs, so the immediate crisis has passed. So I think I will wait a week or two until the product has shipped, and then post further details. There is clearly a lot about GI I don't understand yet.
03 March 2006, 01:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.