View Full Version : CgTalk Daily Sketch 612 POPULAR SCIENCE:"Inflatable Space Hote" (TEMPLATES INCLUDED)
02 February 2006, 02:12 PM
"Inflatable Space Hotels" (this is way real tech)
One of my favorite magazines is Popular Science.
I love how their positive spin for their visions of the future.
So for a few days I want to experiment doing magazine covers.
The idea is that you have been commisioned to do a cover for one of their articles.
Here is your research. The space hotel you draw has to be based on thier idea, but you can get very creative in terms of the space shuttle, and outside markings. After all, this is a hotel.
Inflatable Space Hotels
Keep in mind, these hotels will connect to the next gen space shuttle.
SCIENCE NEWS COVER TEMPLATES:
>>BIG<< (http://www.savefile.com/files/2487634)(4 M)
>>Medium<< (http://www.savefile.com/files/9104105)(1.5 M)
You can change the layer for the article title and the wording for it, but the cover concept cannot change.
The templates are in psd format. If anyone needs it converted, please ask.
Here are the general rules...
We will try to post one of these topics once a day for your enjoyment.
These are the rules:
* Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
* RESOLUTION : The image can have any aspect ratio up to 800 x 600
* They can be done on any medium.
* If you wish, you can add a brief text description about your piece.
* Only original compositions. No "tributes" or plagiarizing, unless is it an integral part of the challenge.
* NO PAINTOVERS, unless specifically requested. Inspiration can be taken from photos, but not direct copies.
* The topics will be posted every day between 10:00 - 12:00 am US EST.
* The artist also has to post total length of time it took (Thanks Clanger for the idea) and program used.
* Only final pieces can be posted on the thread. They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
* Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
* The topics will be picked at random from the list on this thread
(The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
*You can add multiple entries, but please dont post WIP (Unless you intend to update them). NEW RULE!
*ANOTHER thread to quantify and track WHO has participated the most on these threads.
PS To submit your topic ideas and suggestions go to this thread:
02 February 2006, 09:01 PM
I haven't drawn much space stuff, so this was good fun ;)
I Used a few refs for this one, one for the astroanut, earth and the space station.
1h30 mins, PS + Wacom
02 February 2006, 02:43 AM
I completely forgot about templates and prepared widescreen version instead:/
-Oh well, after some extreme stretching everything would fit.
02 February 2006, 06:06 PM
meh... thought I'd give it a try. I had fun painting the space...but kind of fizzled out a bit when it came to the actual hotel and all. *shrug
02 February 2006, 11:09 PM
tried to do something good.. pic is from a ref... not really proud of it..
1.5hrs. +/- 20mins./PS/ I3 6x8
02 February 2006, 07:24 AM
A little late on this one. I put together a low poly model to light and use for reference, then painted the sketch in PS. About 3 & 1/2 hours total.
02 February 2006, 11:46 AM
This geometric stuff is pretty hard to paint...
about 3 hours at work :shrug: http://homepage.hispeed.ch/welkesblatt/spacehotel.jpg
02 February 2006, 03:53 PM
Vyse_soa, nice work:applause:
02 February 2006, 04:18 PM
This is my inflatable space hotel ambition ..
All of them single seater, easy using and economic.. :)
02 February 2006, 08:52 PM
Good works everyone.
This is my inflatable hotel,
half an hour more or less with photoshop
02 February 2006, 01:02 AM
Little late :D 10 min photoshop... This is all I could think of when I heard "Star inflatable hotel" Sharp points and inflatables not a good combination,
02 February 2006, 01:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.