View Full Version : a little muscle car (90% complete)

03 March 2002, 01:32 AM

an almost completed mystery year Dart done for fun in my spare time. Everything is mapped, right down to heater hoses and spring shackles (anal, i know). She uses 10 256x256 maps, and should run fine in the game its going in. Poly count is 4600 faces, the driver will bring it up to around 5K faces.

Tools used - LW5.6, MAX3.1, PS5.5 (home tools)

Time - you dont want to know .... about 4 hours for each map and a good 2 or 3 nights on making the model.

look, crit, flame ... its all good.


03 March 2002, 01:43 AM
look, crit, flame ... its all good.[/B]

It IS all good... I like the engine compartment...nice :)
Not sure about the texture on the seats though.

03 March 2002, 02:56 AM
good point .. the interior map is not complete. The checkerboard is temporary.


03 March 2002, 05:30 PM
very very cool,,, the engine is wicked,,:D

If i may be so bold as to make a suggestion, for improvement,,

Maybe use the dodge tool in Photoshop (that would be my technique anyway) on the front lights to give them more depth and shine,,, just to make them look a bit more like glass,,,,

just my idea!!


Kim Oravecz
03 March 2002, 01:26 AM
Yeah - looks great! I can't believe all the detail you put in the engine. You must be a very patient person! :)

The only thing I would add, IMHO, is some specular highlights on the chromed areas. Like the bumpers, the front grid (or whatever you call that area of a car), the back of the sideview mirror, etc.

But like you said, being only 90% done I'm not sure what the other 10% is that you are going to do . . . so excuse me if I'm premature. :)

What do you mean, in your "tools" listing by "home tools?"


. . . Kim

03 March 2002, 02:20 AM

I see what you mean. They look more like the airbrushed lights you see on drag cars with glass noses and not a real headlight. I like the suggestion and ill try it. i very much like input on making my work look better, thats why i am posting stuff here :D


by back of the sideview mirror, do you mean the chrome housing part ? as far as hilights, i usally tweak the maps once its in the game. TDR has specular highlights, there is no need to add it to the map (but i did already do it to the car paint ;) ), but i like your feedback and adding it myself may improve the look more...thanks..

home tools .. these are my tools at home. I use newer versions at work (PS6, LW7, etc.).

the front grid is called a grill. and your right, it needs improving.

The engine bay is another matter and it usally causes problems, so a few added goodies are left out (the motor will be wired if the game will allow it. TDR has huge issues with alpha channels, and even more with animated textures). In all its glory, the bay will have additional faces over the complete engine with alphed wiring ... the results are very, very cool, but a total pain to get working (seems it likes to alpha everything thats behind or under the 32 bit image .. this causes problems). I have hit this roadblock in the past with several other products (i think it deals with draw order, but im not a programmer). Fixing this problem is not easy or fun.

it should be finished by next weekend .. ill post newer pics when ready.

again, thanks for the feedback.


*edited for spelling (but im sure i missed some words) *

The Magic Pen
03 March 2002, 08:17 AM
Looks good to me !

Kim Oravecz
03 March 2002, 06:33 PM
Yeah Cadster, I meant the mirror housing. As you can tell, I don't know much about car parts. :D


. . . Kim

03 March 2002, 04:40 AM
Once again, tough guy :D , your cars are superb.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.