View Full Version : Reference proxy trouble
01 January 2006, 11:48 AM
I am experiencing a crash when switching between referenced proxies.
I can set up the loRes proxy with shared edits and switch to it without any problems. I can even switch back to the hiRes. However, when I switch again to the loRes model I get a list of errors like the following:
Error: file: .../proxyActivate.mel line 156: Exception occurred during the execution of node callback 'TdeformerBasket::jointClusterCleanCallback'. Node callback mode: 5.
...and the rig blows itself apart, if I do anything further I get a crash.
Anyone else get this sort of error or have any problems with referencing proxies?
01 January 2006, 05:00 AM
What version of Maya are you using? If you're using 7.0 you might want to try 7.0.1 - it's possible that this fix addresses your problem:
[File referencing] Crash or corruption when opening a scene with references. The corruption noticed was causing extra namespaces to appear: if a scene contained a single reference “ref.ma” in the namespace “ref”, opening the scene and executing ‘namespaceInfo –lon’ might show two namespaces “ref” and “ref1”. There is no well defined workflow to cause this crash, however it has only been known to occur in a scene with references where one or more of the referenced files contain softMod
I realize the wording doesn't sound similar to the issue you're encountering, but when I hit this bug I would occasionally get exception messages as well.
If that doesn't work for you I'd be happy to take a look at your scene and see if there's something to be done. For more information see http://www.nimblestudiosinc.com/recovery.htm.
01 January 2006, 09:24 PM
Im using 7.0, you may be right about an upgrade, but there isn't one available afaik - just checked the maya site...
The loRes and hiRes are the same but the names are different. I think it is something to do with the foster node getting screwy after you switch a couple of times, which means the constraints controlling the reference aren't being applied correctly.
I can't attach the files here as it is too large.
It's here for anyone who's interested
Any help greatly appreciated.
02 February 2006, 01:16 AM
Great, I'll take a look.
In the meantime the 7.0.1 release can be found here:
(Support > Maya > Software Updates)
You may need to register for the free Bronze membership to download it.
02 February 2006, 04:57 AM
Try opening Bert_Rig_009.mb and executing the following command:
referenceEdit -removeEdits BertrandRN;
This will remove all failed referenced edits from BertrandRN. I have a fixed scene locally if you'd like me to send it to you.
Maya stores any changes made to a referenced file as reference edits. When the reference is unloaded these edits are placed on the associated reference node. When the reference is reloaded Maya tries to re-apply the edits. However there are situations where the edit will fail to be applied correctly - most commonly this will occur when the referenced file has been modified on its own (i.e. by opening it in a session of Maya, making changes, and saving), and when swapping references or using proxies. In both situations the contents of the reference file might be changed such that the nodes/attribute referred to in the stored reference edits no longer exist or have had their names changed.
Maya retains the failed edits because often the failure is temporary. E.g: you switch to a lowres proxy that is missing some nodes so edits applied to the hires proxy fail, however, later, when you switch back to the hires you want those edits to be re-applied. Unfortunately under certain circumstances these old, failed edits can cause problems in a scene. Occasionally those problems can be "fixed" by simply deleting all of the failed edits.
02 February 2006, 09:30 AM
thank you - that did the trick.
Although, doesn't this mean that you can't modify your references without nuking the shared edits (ie, animation)?
02 February 2006, 10:17 AM
You're right, by removing all failed edits you risk losing "valuable" shared edits that have just failed temporarily.
In general removing all failed edits is an extreme step - usually you'd be able to view all failed reference edits and pick and choose which ones to remove. Reference Editor > File > List Reference Edits...
In this particular scene, though, even viewing edits triggered the crash so the more extreme approach was needed. A less destructive, but more time consuming fix, would have been to look at the mayaAscii file in a text editor to determine the failed edits and then use the command:
referenceEdit -removeEdits ref:someReferencedNode;
To only remove those failed edits which affect 'ref:someReferenceNode' - in this manner you might be able to remove the crashing edits while keeping the valuable ones (assuming they were one and the same).
02 February 2006, 10:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.