View Full Version : SplineIK - twisting bone - why ?? Help ..

01 January 2006, 10:05 AM
hello ppl,...

been working on this for a while - regular joint chain (+y, aiming down the child n +Z up), with spline IK on it, cluster the curve, have them parented to Ctrl_Curves. i have attached a sample file(.ma file).. in which i have a COG curve, shoulder, mid_neck & head curves. i know you must be familiar with this method..

my problem is, when i try rotate my COG in y, in either direction, my neck bones kinda twist ??! ggrrrrr..........#@$@()*()*&%^%%^&% .. grrr.....

i have the local rotation axis visible.. you check the .ma file... in rotateX, its stable.. can anyone tell me why this happens ?

now i tried these too : i know my bone chains r having +Y aiming towards the child...but, i tried doing the same setup on a bone-chain, with +X aiming down the child.. it happens in that too.. but in this second case, i select the splineIK handle, in the advanced twist attributes, when i put it to scene UP > +Y , the flip is controlled ...

i noticed that in my chain with +Y aiming down, when my COG is rotated -90, and on the splineIK, i make the roll to 45, the bone's twist is nullified.. at COG > RY = 90, roll shud be -45 ... but at COG.ry = (- or +) 180, roll has to be 180 , and at COG.ry = (- or +) 360, roll shud be 0. i cud'nt deduce any relation or ratio kinda pattern from these values..

is this a problem with the splineIK or with my method itself ? or is it that splineIK needs the bone chains to be having +X aiming down, only ? is this anyway connected to limitation of the adv,twist attributes, which work only on the bone chains with +X aiming down ?

but the same setup , i have on my spine area, which works fine.. but same setup on the neck.. is giving me the problem. how many times i tried to reproduce it, it always, twists.. can any one guide me what could be happening wrong ?

01 January 2006, 10:00 PM
is there a reason not to just use x down and advanced twist controls to aim at an object that is parented to the control?

BTW, its flipping because you are changing the shape of the curve (with clusters) . NOT rotating it...
so they are just trying to point in the same direction, as you are not telling it to do otherwise...

01 January 2006, 08:30 AM

cant really say why. but by adding a joint on top of the Neck joint and parent constraining with the COG solves the problem.

01 January 2006, 09:31 AM
hello maverickkk,,....

hi man.. yes, ur trick worked.. thanx alot... but can u tell me why , this works ?

hi john_homer,

well, actually its that i used the +y pointing down.... in the rigs. i can change to +x and fix the neck.. rig.. but u know.. have to redo in a whole lot of files.. ( i'm not on referencing yet :-( )

so now this trick of maverickk works... but here, my splineIK 's curve is still outside my hirarchy right ? then its still like the curve is still being just manipulated with the clusters.. but it works ?

but i think i kinda got another solution to the problem, with out the constraints and the extra bone.. in the sample file, when i parent the neck_01 to the shoulder_ctrl, it is solved ! i did the same thing in my rig, and that seems to have solved it...

thanx for the replies guys, that solved it !

btw: maverickkk, which place u r in bangalore ? i'm also in bangalore ...

01 January 2006, 10:46 PM
heed the words of john when working with splineIK ash... advanced twist controls are about the only way to wrangle splineIK into any workable fashion..

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 10:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.