I've started work on a low-poly soldier and I need some critique. It's my first attempt on a low-poly character, so any tips are most welcome.
I found some cool blueprints and started work, so here's what I've done so far. I still need to texture the torso and model the backpack and arms.
The soldier has around 1700 quads - 2900 triangles. And a wire:
Most objects (boots, torso, legs) were made from 1x1 planes - extruding the edges and forming the basic shape. For the gas mask I created the contour (side view) from a closed line, then I created another one inside the first one, fit the vertices into shape and moved it above the first one, to form the 3D shape. Then I created more lines between the vertices of the two lines and finally added a Surface Modifier. From there I used Edit Poly to add more detail.
For the textures I used Photoshop - drawing some lines on top of the baked wireframe texture of the objects (after using UVW Unwrap) and adding lots of filters to make the texture more realistic - and Zbrush - exported the objects into Zbrush, divided them, projected them into the background and painted on them. After I was satisfied with the result I saved and hi-quality render and used pieces of the image to make the textures for the original object I exported.