View Full Version : Modified mesh and map problem

01 January 2006, 07:57 PM

I basically animated my zbrushed character in Lightwave 8.5.

Everything was fine until I decided her breasts were too small and odd.
So I rebrushed it and created a new displacement map.
Back in Lightwave I replaced the old displacement map with the new, but the new displacement doesn't take place.

So I exported a new OBJ from zbrush and replaced the old mesh in Lightwave. This time the displacements take place but screws up the bone deformations, hands and legs flying everywhere.

The changes to the breasts were not that huge, so why doesn't the new displacement map work on the old mesh? All points and polygons are identical.



The walk cycle can be downloaded here:

01 January 2006, 11:40 PM
can you post the old and new displacement map?
also perhaps post your uv layouts?
or images of it not working?

right off the top of my head if your saying that displacement just stops working when you use the new map. I would guess that it was either not created correctly or is not being applied correctly.

01 January 2006, 05:42 AM
thanks for the reply. After much testing, It was caused by slightly changed/missing weight maps when I replaced the old morph target mesh with the new LEVEL ONE mesh.

After resetting and resting bones and reweighting, things fell back into place.

02 February 2006, 05:37 PM
pssst... little life-saving secret here....


it is a plug in that lets you open up your origonal lightwave model, but IMPORT the UV information from the OBJ that you exported out of zbrush. this way you dont have to use that OBJ and you can keep your endomorphs and weights.

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2006, 05:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.