View Full Version : Buying a tablet...

Blackwave
01 January 2006, 07:00 PM
Hi there all,

I'm after a graphics tablet. I've never used one before, been meaning to get one for a while.

I'm on a VERY small budget, 30-40 is kind of pushing it. I want to use it with Photoshop for a GCSE Art project, but after looking around the designs here (paticularly the Daily Sketches forum) I'm kind of interested in taking part in that.

I've had a look on ebay, seems the general opinion here is that Wacom are the best, so I looked for a Wacom model.

Whilst I'm drooling at the thought of an Inuous3, it's a little bit out of my price range... :)

Theres a Wacom Volito (OEM CZW9) being sold for 24.95, but the fact that the drivers don't mention Windows XP and the price is making me think it's a little bit too old to be of any use.

Any ideas?

opus13
01 January 2006, 09:52 PM
Theres a Wacom Volito (OEM CZW9) being sold for 24.95, but the fact that the drivers don't mention Windows XP and the price is making me think it's a little bit too old to be of any use.

considering what people draw with a basic mouse, the volito will do you just fine :)
seriously though, if you are on a tight budget, a used graphire 2, 3, or a volito is your best shot.

volito review:
http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=79&pgno=0

Blackwave
01 January 2006, 05:23 PM
When I posted the above, it didn't appear in the forum so I reposted, so apolagies if it appears twice.

Is there anything really... 'wrong' with the Volitos. I've been looking at a few Graphires on ebay for a decent price. What would be better, a Graphire 4, or an Intuous 2?

Messenjah
01 January 2006, 09:18 AM
Seriously, if I were you, I would consider waiting it out and get a Wacom Intuos 3. I almost didn't buy it myself until I found a sweet deal on CS2, where if I bought the Wacom I could also get CS2 for $299 flat out. :)

Honestly, I can say that I really wouldn't have considdered trying to paint UV maps for character meshes until I got a Wacom.

I'm still trying to learn how to use the Intuos 3 and CS2 but I found that it really didn't take me much time to adjust from drawing with a mouse to the Intuos 3. :) Just feels comfy.

Blackwave
01 January 2006, 12:44 PM
I bought a Graphire2 off ebay for 45, A6 size.

Should be arriving on Monday *crosses fingers*.

I'd have loved to bought a Intuous3, I have the cash, but theres other things I need to buy (Xbox 360... :D) which is the reason I had to skimp on the budget. Saving up for it wasn't an option as I need it ASAP.

Anyway, thanks for the advice all, can't waitt o try it out :)

Datameister
01 January 2006, 12:10 AM
Why did you need a tablet ASAP?

I would have suggested saving up for a small Intuos. I've never used a Graphire, but from what I hear, they really lack the precision required for high-end digital art.

Buying a cheaper tablet so you can buy an Xbox 360? What are you, crazy? ;)

Jk...I hope the Graphire works out great for you.

v_z
01 January 2006, 02:10 AM
I guess he needs one because he wants to do part of his schoolwork with it. GCSE is a stage in British higher education, and you have to submit work by a certain deadline.

But yeah the graphire should be alright, I hope.

I personnally did what Datameister suggested, saving up for an A4 intuos, and then found myself in a spot of luck and ample cash. So I went for a Cintiq 21UX. Only thing that bothers me about that is its takes a long time to be delivered. 4 to 6 weeks, 2 weeks down and they've been the longest of my life, I don't know if i can stand the next two.

and why Xbox 360, would have waited for the PS3 ^^, then you could have spent more on the tablet :).

Datameister
01 January 2006, 05:05 PM
Ah, I see. Well, if you need a tablet for school, I really would have suggested an Intuos, Blackwave! :D The Graphire should be fine, though.

V_z, you got a Cintiq?! I've decided I don't like you...

Just kidding, just kidding. :) I hope it works out really well for you. You'll have to let me know how it is.

Good luck with your Graphire, Blackwave!

firana
01 January 2006, 06:19 AM
Hi guys, I need some advice on wacom intuos.

What is the difference between wacom intuos 2 and 3?
If I want to work as 3D artist (texturing materials) using Intuos 2, is this good enough?
What about using Intuos 2 in Corel Painter instead of Intuos 3?

I am thinking about getting a drawing tablet.

Thanks guys.

DrQuincy
01 January 2006, 12:39 PM
I was in the same position as you as was advised by the good people on these forums to get the Volito. It's very good for the price.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 12:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.