View Full Version : About using flex in deformations

Madis Laiapea
01 January 2006, 04:30 PM
Hi All! I am a new messiah:animate user. Just bought it few weeks ago and trying it out now and have already fell in love with it. My earlier rigging & animation experience was in maya. But I was always very unsatisfied with the linear workflow and the need to always repaint ( actually renumber manually ) deformation weights. So messiah was a really great discovery for me.

I looked that nice short tutorial in pmg homepage tutorials section about using flex to make deformation like elbow better ( tutorial is with Butch character ). But this tutorial does not explain how to parent flex points into the arm joint so it moves with the arm. When i simply parent it to arm it does not influence the mesh anymore and vice versa - when it is created ( and parented ) below mesh, it stays still when animating hand and holds the mesh it influences too. So anyone, who knows the solution, please let me know.

Thanks!

Wegg
01 January 2006, 06:34 PM
I can't remember seeing that particular video tutorial but I think it is as simple as just parenting the points on your flex motion curve to the different bones. No?

Madis Laiapea
01 January 2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the tip, Wegg. It works. That was the only thing I did not tried to do and now this solution seems so logical. How did I missed it? :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 09:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.