View Full Version : Tired of your widescreen monitor?

01 January 2006, 12:36 AM

Cool display technology.

01 January 2006, 12:43 AM
good god thats awesome. wonder if it can run out of the box software or if they have to be adjusted for the screen...

i need to rtfm lol

4. How does the VisionStation accomplish these things?
Elumens' patented TruTheta software enables software applications for use with Elumens Vision series products. TruTheta software ( comprises a set of software libraries available at no charge from the Elumens website. Elumens' spherical screens promote an excellent sense of 3D and "presence".
Elumens' unique custom optics enables full-screen projection at 180 with perfect spherical projection. Onscreen images have extremely high fidelity to signal.

01 January 2006, 01:27 AM
Hey that's real cool.

I'm not sure whether I'd use it as a screen, a satellite receiving dish, or a wok. :hmm:

01 January 2006, 01:36 AM
I used one at a home entertainment store once. They had it hooked up to a racing game. It was okay

01 January 2006, 01:53 AM
Hehe, it helps you get that even coverage of radiation that is so desired. No more unsightly tumorless areas where traditional monitors just can't reach.

No but it does look cool!

01 January 2006, 01:56 AM
you never have to leave your desk

it reminds me of "the prisoner" who is number one?
seems like it'd be goood for piloting military drones

01 January 2006, 03:32 AM
How much does this thing cost?

Agent Vesago
01 January 2006, 03:56 AM
If you have to ask you can't afford it. :D

01 January 2006, 03:57 AM
Where do i sign?

01 January 2006, 05:42 AM
Good grief, "go with the flow accesory?"

LMAO. Nice one... Now you can really start downing the old Doctor Pepper.

01 January 2006, 08:22 AM
This is actually quite an "old" technology now. They were showing it at Siggraph in 2000 or 2001.

I remember being really impressed, it's far more effective than it looks for sure.

01 January 2006, 10:00 AM
damn that looks cool. I wonder if current "standard" graphicscards are sufficient.

I love the guy who sits in front of this thing...he smiles as if they promised him that he could keep one of these things if he'd pose for a photo...

01 January 2006, 11:33 AM
I've played a game in one of those once. Great experience because suddenly your "broader vision" is enabled ... you see stuff in the corner of your eye, which makes it a very strange experience. I remember they weren't that expensive as it basicaly a projection on a small screen.

01 January 2006, 12:04 PM
Wow. I'd love to have one of those to fly Il2 & OFF simulators :D Should be real fun.

01 January 2006, 01:51 PM
I tried this at Siggraph a year or two ago. It was pretty cool at first, but it ends up being quite tiring. Sort of like being right under the screen at a cinema, it gets jittery like you can see every frame as the camera pans. Couldn't see myself using it for more than a few minutes at a time. Perhaps it's been improved since then though...

01 January 2006, 08:12 PM
How much does this thing cost?

It's approximately $20,000 according to HowStuffWorks:

01 January 2006, 08:30 PM
I played Quake III Arena on this thing several years ago. Moderately cool. Just a dish and projector with some FOV correcting software. Not worth it at all.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 08:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.