View Full Version : Christmas "Nisse" TV Bumpers

SuperRune
12 December 2005, 11:45 PM
Hi!

The last time I posted a work here, it was a couple of sperm looking for action inside a colon.
This time I will try not to be as provocative :)

http://www.superrune.com/dyret/2005/tv2jul2005_slede_back_hires.jpg

We just finished some bumpers for a television channel in Norway, the bumpers lets the
viewers know when the commercial breaks starts and end. The bumpers features a traditional
norwegian mythological character called the "Nisse", who is a combination between a gnome
and an elf. He lives on farms in rural Norway and watches over the livestock and people living
there. If you don't feed him properly, he will start misbehaving. I think this character is local
to Scandinavia, but I think most old cultures have some kind of "house spirit" that needs to
be respected.

The animations are small (4-6 seconds), but we put as much work in it as possible in the time
we had available. I think the look of them turned out quite nice, they're almost illustrated in a
way. They were all animated in Maya and rendered in Mental Ray. We did the 3D in about
seven weeks, and we were eight persons working on them:

Frode Ekeberg: Modeling, textures, logo animation.
André M. Hitsøy: Modeling, textures and rigging.
Kim M. Jensen: Sound.
Øystein Larsen: Technical supervision, project management, rigging, effects and lighting.
Johan Leuf: Modeling and animation.
Ivar Rødningen: Character design, modeling.
Rune Spaans: Art and animation direction, modeling, lighting, matte paint and compositing.
Andreas Westin: Animation

I have compiled all the little bumpers into a single quicktime. Although it will start to stream
as you click on it, I strongly recommend you to download the entire film and play it off disk.
The server I put it on could be a little too slow for streaming. The movie is 26mb in size,
sorensen3 compressed quicktime.

http://film.toxic.no/superrune/tv2jul2005_compiled.mov
right click to download...

The animations are very short and maybe pointless to some, but I still hope some of you like
them :)

Cheers,
Rune

And finally, a couple more stills for those who can't be bothered to click through the
animations :)

http://www.superrune.com/dyret/2005/tv2jul2005_pipe_back.jpg
http://www.superrune.com/dyret/2005/tv2jul2005_grot_front.jpg
http://www.superrune.com/dyret/2005/tv2jul2005_mane_back.jpg
http://www.superrune.com/dyret/2005/tv2jul2005_mobil_front.jpg

Ranimate
12 December 2005, 11:54 PM
hehehe... so short man :(
They look great, the overall look and feel of it all is really nice!
I like the bath one and the gifts snow sledge the most.

:bounce:

Fun to watch.

Ran

neiy0
12 December 2005, 01:56 AM
Awsome animation... only one thing: THEY ARE TO SHORT!!

You get all excited cause the characters, textures, set up, lighting is phenominal, then you realize that it only lasts a matter of seconds, and it's a bummer:cry:

Even though they are incomplete, I still give them 4*'s, I would 5 them but ...

Get them done man!!!

Cheers :beer:
-Neil

JesseDavis
12 December 2005, 02:05 AM
They are very very gorgeous. Great lighting. As for the animation, there isn't really that much to comment on, because the servers are kinda slow and the clips are so short. But I'll check back in this thread from time to time for updates. or whatev.

HappyToast
12 December 2005, 12:09 PM
Beautiful work, great lighting and a really good sense of atmosphere.

Excellent use of time for such short constraints too.

Well done to everyone involved

:thumbsup:

Ac0rN
12 December 2005, 01:45 PM
man... could'nt you just edited it all thogether.... looks great anyhow...

Saihtam
12 December 2005, 04:23 PM
wow great job! nice color, nice ambience! I really would like to have one file!

Nux
12 December 2005, 05:12 PM
all around really great. yeah they are short, but there supposed to be, the just serve as bumpers, and i didn't think the length took away from them, since its what they were made for.

awesome work!

BartokDesign
12 December 2005, 05:40 PM
The stills are awesome , Ill wait for the edited version with all them together , cya.

harmonic01
12 December 2005, 05:54 PM
Whyyyy....oooohwhyyyy is this so short. :drool: Aside from that, it's awesome. Love the look of the whole thing. Awesome job. :thumbsup:

SuperRune
12 December 2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks for your comments!! Sorry to hear that our servers are slow (they really shouldn't be). I'll try to have an edited version out ASAP (for all you lazy b**tards :) )

Rune

Oloren
12 December 2005, 06:19 PM
Haha, awesome work! I've been watching these on TV 2 for a while now ;) Really sweet, traditional norwegian look here. I digg the nisse, the snow and all... Really great. I see your animation has a different feel than what I'm used to: less cartooony and more "puppet-like." but verry alive! Increadible envirements. Skål Gutter :beer:

SuperRune
12 December 2005, 09:22 PM
You can now download a single compiled quicktime instead. Hope that works out better for you :)

Rune

HenningK
12 December 2005, 09:56 PM
They look so fantastic. I like the puppetlike quality.
Wish we could see some more action out of the Nisse.
Can we have some more high-qual renders for desktops?
love,hen

mstram
12 December 2005, 11:28 PM
Great stuff !

This goes right into my "best of 3d" folder :)

Mike

SuperRune
12 December 2005, 11:34 PM
They look so fantastic. I like the puppetlike quality.
Wish we could see some more action out of the Nisse.
Can we have some more high-qual renders for desktops?
love,hen

Sure, I can try to do that when I get back to work tomorrow. Anyone in particular you'd like in high resolution?

Rune

HenningK
12 December 2005, 03:44 AM
Well, since you asked... Yeah!
In the bath (inside), Under the tree (the one thats not the cell phone), and puling the empty sled. Oh yeah, and a bigger one of pulling the full sled up the hill. 1600x1200.

Hee hee hee. :)
Then you wont have to buy me a christmas present.
love,hen

SuperRune
12 December 2005, 03:35 PM
Gotta get back to you on that, turned out to be a busy day today. Sure you want the full sled? It looks kinda crap compared to the others :P

(R)

Suryawanshi
12 December 2005, 07:24 PM
Rune...gr8 renders man... wot koool compositions :D:D:D
I am sure Nisse will be really pleased looking at this work :)
the moon is simply too beautiful man (that clip rocks)
and for the guys who are lazy not to dnld all of em.....plzzzzzzzzz u are missing something very nice :)
Sachin S. Suryawanshi

Kong kong na
12 December 2005, 02:14 AM
that's so cute ...great animation and enviroment even it's very short...good work:cool:

ivanisavich
12 December 2005, 02:29 AM
Dude these rock!

Short or not, they're just so beautiful!

Will someone PLEASE get these up on the frontpage already!

sglicker
12 December 2005, 03:02 AM
Many thanks for posting!

Milho
12 December 2005, 07:27 PM
Awesome... and frontpage worth for sure!

Great job :thumbsup:

How long did you all work on the project?

wilgory
12 December 2005, 11:10 PM
Great work, the modeling and texturing are spectacular. I'll have to admit in my opinion the lighting is really what makes these short animations so great. Great job. I wish we had more cg characters in festive environments for the holiday on american television stations. The settings and character styles remind me of my childhood norweigen friend's figurines and painting in her home. Your team deserves a pat on the back for a job well done!!
-Greg

itayg
12 December 2005, 12:24 AM
Beautiful 3d animation. one of the best i've seen latly. great character:bounce:

rickycox
12 December 2005, 03:00 AM
wow five star work, really captures the xmas feel.

D-Alexander
12 December 2005, 05:22 AM
WOW, This is absulutely amazing work, i think you guys deserve an award for this (many infact) i wish i could even half way create a moon that beautifull.

The animation is incredible aswell!

Any "Inside Tips" on the Making of the moon? :)

10 thumbs 10 toes and a couple of elbows up on the production ;)

ktysdal
12 December 2005, 07:07 PM
hahah now I finally know who's been making these animations! thats great man

utrolig stilig Rune, sinnsykt bra :D

Slurry
12 December 2005, 07:26 PM
These are gorgeous. Too short for sure. It'd be fun to see some shorts with these little guys.
The renders look fantastic, great music, fx, everything is top-notch.
Congrats on putting together such nice spots on a tight timeline.

Art

red-cube
12 December 2005, 10:44 PM
Really love the idents. It is like most people have pointed out, a shame that they are idents and therefore too short.
Lovely character, reminds me of a commercial I worked on with Ruairi, called Ulsterbank (http://www.edwardbruce.com/ulsterbank.html)

Nice charm with the lighting and subtle nature of the stings.

Good job all round. Shame they wernt an international campaign.

:)

djhush
12 December 2005, 11:50 PM
Super nice.

All the Big ups to ya.

It makes me want to work day and night to be able to do something like this.
It's character, animation, lightning, textures...

I'm really impressed
Thanks for posting it :applause:

-SD-
12 December 2005, 12:58 AM
Outstanding quality! I just adore the lighting and the mood is just right too. Too amazing :drool:

popol
12 December 2005, 01:12 AM
really nice rune !!!:thumbsup:

PaLantir
12 December 2005, 01:53 AM
I remember your colon... ehm.. i mean your last provocative animation and was really great!
That one is fantastic because i love the details of scenes and atmosphear!

ALL is very nice!
Congratulation dude.

i really love it

kisses from Italy
Palantir

otacon
12 December 2005, 02:24 AM
The stills look great. Downloading the anim now at 1.5k/sec. Someone should get a mirror for this guy since its on front page everyone will be downloading.

orbitalpunk
12 December 2005, 03:51 AM
can anyone bit torrent this? 1.5K is really slow.

AkinBilgic
12 December 2005, 03:52 AM
Awesome stills - really want to check out the animation - anyone want to host mirrors?

amannin
12 December 2005, 04:43 AM
1.3k/sec :(

visualboo
12 December 2005, 05:35 AM
2.4KB/s!! Suckers! ;)

Only 2h 51m left for me lol... can you say Cancel?

Troub
12 December 2005, 08:23 AM
7h 16min @ 1.72 kb/sec :surprised

can i say it?

NO ;)

pixel-abuse
12 December 2005, 09:24 AM
Any mirrors please, I want to be able to download it before I have to leave the office.

thanks.

morphar
12 December 2005, 09:36 AM
Same as the above, would love to see it. But am getting 1.7 - 0,2 kb/s trying to download from Denmark.

Hope you'll be able to pull out a mirror and not be ruined by the bw consumption ;D

PaLantir
12 December 2005, 09:57 AM
here's a mirror for you :)

http://webpalantir.altervista.org/tv2jul2005_compiled.zip
>>save as<<

kisses
Palantir

SuperRune
12 December 2005, 10:12 AM
Hi! Thanks a lot for all your comments and the front page plug!

I never expected this kind of traffic, but we're moving the file to another server now :blush:

Rune

arvid
12 December 2005, 10:17 AM
Hi! Thanks a lot for all your comments and the front page plug!

I never expected this kind of traffic, but we're moving the file to another server now :blush:

Rune

Can't wait :drool: The images look really sweet Rune :)

StefanA
12 December 2005, 10:26 AM
congrats on a well made job! Nice feeling to the spots. It would be fun to see a breakdown of how the elements were put together (if you have the time... hehe).

Again, very nice!

best regards
stefan andersson

InAction
12 December 2005, 10:27 AM
How could people have such problem downloading it? I downloaded it at several 100k per second.:surprised
Anyway, really great work dear neighbour. All respect to you. :beer:

Markuss
12 December 2005, 10:28 AM
Congratulations Rune! You guys at Toxic are amazingly talented. This helped me get in the right Christmas mood too! :) Beautiful work!

arvid
12 December 2005, 10:37 AM
How could people have such problem downloading it? I downloaded it at several 100k per second.:surprised
Anyway, really great work dear neighbour. All respect to you. :beer:

Yeah, now it works ;) Half an hour ago I got not speed at all.

Skjoldbroder
12 December 2005, 10:43 AM
superb stuff mate. again!

the one where he takes a snap of himself with the camera.. priceless =)

arvid
12 December 2005, 10:50 AM
So now I've watchend the spots, truly great work, best Nisse ever! :thumbsup: Good job all around!

HellBoy
12 December 2005, 10:54 AM
super cool man

I must say, you guys are one really talented animators

well done :applause: :thumbsup:

PhuongDPh
12 December 2005, 11:20 AM
wow ! great animation
I love this very much !
I love animation, of course, light and some fx, well, I love all ^_^
http://k.1asphost.com/phls/smilies/l29.gif

bitBrain
12 December 2005, 11:56 AM
This is so nice, simple yet effective ideas. I really enjoyed watching them. :) I loved the knitted headgear in the moonlight haha :) Can't comment on the sound as I'm sitting at the Uni and the computer has no speakers. But great job of the visual style, the only thing I didn't "get" was the small black "gap" between clips, are you following the dogma rules? :P

DAREONER
12 December 2005, 12:00 PM
ouaaa, very impressive,'it's perfect, the lighting is very real, animation to.
excellent works guy:surprised

oeystein
12 December 2005, 01:08 PM
love it!! only reason I watch tv now-adays, hehe

omarhib
12 December 2005, 01:41 PM
one word.....(((Wonderful)))

Cheers

Kickflipkid687
12 December 2005, 02:00 PM
All I can say is wow... that is probably the best animation Ive ever seen.... That looks even better than pixars! But, yea there WAY TO SHORT :'(

jtuulos
12 December 2005, 02:01 PM
Wow, really great animations! I really recommend everyone to check out all of their work at their website www.toxic.no. Really inspiring stuff! :thumbsup:

Just one question: As a Maya and MR user, I'd like to know how you created the shader for the snow. I think the most amazing thing in these clips render-wise was the snow. All the shimmering and translucency effects (did you check the snow in the window?) blew my mind away. If you can share your trade secrets with us humble artists, the world would be a little better again. :D

And of course, 'God Jul' to all of you!

Dennik
12 December 2005, 02:23 PM
Wow, although i was a bit annoyed by seing so many nice clips interrupted all the time by black, i must say this was just like your previous work shown, so well worked to the detail. The whole atmosphere, lighting texturing, style and animation, were awesome.

If i was in your team, i would hate myself for doing commercials. You guys better do a movie production!

Linz
12 December 2005, 02:45 PM
All I can say is wow... that is probably the best animation Ive ever seen.... That looks even better than pixars!

OK, so I read through all these posts while the file downloaded and when I got to this I just thought 'whatever'...but now I've seen it I have to agree!!! :thumbsup:

The style and quality are incredible but most of all the Christmas vibe these portray is just perfect! I also agree with another poster who said it helped him get in the Christmas mood - thanks! :bounce:

I quite like the length 'though, 'cause you know what they say...always leave them wanting more - and I do! :)

otacon
12 December 2005, 03:00 PM
Those were very nice. I especially like the lighting.

CGOrange
12 December 2005, 03:06 PM
Hey Rune,

I really like your short. Everything is great.. The only thing that bothers me are the black frames. They really chop up your work and become very annoying I think you should do something smoother... cuts or even fades from one shot to another would be so much smoother. but its a very beautiful work. Great Job

HerrKatt
12 December 2005, 03:20 PM
Very nice atmosphere and lighting! Awesome textures! :)
It has a very nice "Christmas feel" to it. To bad we don't have that channel in Sweden.
- God Jul!

gra7
12 December 2005, 03:57 PM
niice man.. lov it.. congrats all.. ;)

bigjko
12 December 2005, 03:58 PM
Just saw this on Norsk TV 2. It's simply awesome. My favorite is the very last one, where he's just sitting there enjoying the moon. Quite amazing atmosphere in all of them.

Also, his expressions in the bath one are fantastic.

Awesome work.

Alberto_Ro
12 December 2005, 04:06 PM
Great job man, you´re the best of the best! :thumbsup:

IestynRoberts
12 December 2005, 04:12 PM
Excellent stuff! I really enjoed them, i really liked the lighting on them, really gave a lovley christmas vibe, great stuff. The attention to detail in the scenes e.g. the chipped away wooden floor is incredible, that put me right in the christmas spirit! I wish we has snow like that here in Wales this Christmas.
Great job guys, well done
-Iest

BardurM
12 December 2005, 04:21 PM
WOW! thats EXTREMLY nice...

i live in the Faroe Islands.. and we also have these "nisser".... but here they are called "Nissur"
hehee

every thing looks so real in those animations... EXPECALY "Nissan"... (the niss)
i totaly like the skinshader and the hair... and not to mention the hat... (nissu húgvan)
Great WORK!

merry christmas... hehe

Regards
Bardur

DrQuincy
12 December 2005, 05:12 PM
Those were so well crafted! I especially enjoyed the one where he's playing with the phone and the one where's he's taking the bath. The environments oozed character and the lighting was perfect!

Well done to all involved.

gingamonkey
12 December 2005, 05:27 PM
Wow... luverly stuff !
Love the animation, character design, lighting, texturing.... everything in fact! Especially the snow!
Hats off to you guys :bowdown:

Merry Christmas!

Silverwing
12 December 2005, 05:31 PM
Great stuff!

Renders and animation is just perfect!
Lighting is unbelieveble great too.

I just love these little shots.
5 stars from me! :bowdown:

elnady
12 December 2005, 06:08 PM
Awesome stuff
5 *****

RezaMisaghi
12 December 2005, 07:20 PM
Woooow Perfect , Just Perfect .
When Can we have the complete one?

amannin
12 December 2005, 07:32 PM
Well, after a long-over-night download, I can say it was worth it. I wish all the clips would tie together and make one continuous story, but otherwise, very nice and very impressive.

Sagii
12 December 2005, 08:10 PM
GREAT! cheeese... 5 STARS from me. I really really love your style.. you have captured the christmas spirit.

Luciferul
12 December 2005, 08:15 PM
Great work dude.

Merry Christmas :wavey:

EnthroneD
12 December 2005, 08:15 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Gorgeous!! wonderful!! fan-f**kin-tastic!!!

AkinBilgic
12 December 2005, 08:24 PM
Awesome clips man - everything is wonderful - lighting, texturing, models, etc.
Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

InKraBid
12 December 2005, 10:17 PM
Great stuff Rune, I really like the dense, compacted atmosphere of the environments and the personality of the nisse. Just right.

unwrap
12 December 2005, 10:49 PM
Those are some awesome shorts :thumbsup: .

issaid
12 December 2005, 10:58 PM
Excellent work. Please finish it. That is tremendous. Also goes in my Best of 3D folder.

Somhairle
12 December 2005, 11:04 PM
Wow! what can I say, Rune you and the folks at toxic really pulled this one off beautifully! I love the modeling, textures, composition, lighting and subtle camera movements. Wish we had some decent stuff like this over here in Ireland for the ad breaks.

I just love the one where he falls asleep in the bowl, reminds me of the great backgrounds from Disney's "pinocchio" and Bluth's "the secret of NIMH"! Fantastic! :buttrock:

5 Stars http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif

Merry Christmas

xX_eXiGe_Xx
12 December 2005, 11:11 PM
:bounce: 5/5, that movie made me remind what cristmas really is about :) .

iduna79
12 December 2005, 11:15 PM
Great, man! Seems like Toxic has made a lot of nice work

wurp
12 December 2005, 11:27 PM
really great stuff, and 7 weeks to do this is quite fast too...

I was wondering about the rendering, did you use final gathering or anything like that, is it all traditional lighting? What were the renderingtimes like?

keep it up!

arvid
12 December 2005, 11:38 PM
I'm not speaking for Rune here :wise:, but to those who mention the black frames and the chopped up manner in which these clips are presented:

These clips are break bumpers, which is used between actual programming, and the commercial blocks on TV. The short parts are the in-bumpers (note the word "Reklam" at the top, meaning something like "commercial break"), the black part represent the commercial block, and the slightly longer part with the "2"-logo is the out-bumper, after which the TV-program continues. All bumper variants are piled after each other in the Quicktime, so it's not supposed to be a "short", and I don't think there will be any other type of editing since these are finished, I presume. You just have to imagine the context. :)

Carry on, nothing to see here :wip:

PinkBunny
12 December 2005, 12:53 AM
Ahh... thanks for explaining the "bumpers". Now I know what they are.

I really like the length actually. It gets the point across in that short little time and leaves us wanting more.

The whole look is just spectacular.

I especially love that shot of him just looking at the moon. If you ever get the chance, Rune, it'd be great to have a hi-res wallpaper of that!

rwijaya
12 December 2005, 03:09 AM
Great Render, lighting is great, and funny character design.overall 5 star from me.

cheers

AndyWhiteley
12 December 2005, 03:15 AM
Very, very nice. The animation is top notch. The lighting in the bowl and spoon shot is just gorgeous and the sleigh gag is brilliant. It just shows how much you can convey in just a few seconds.

KotsVlok
12 December 2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks for your comments!! Sorry to hear that our servers are slow (they really shouldn't be). I'll try to have an edited version out ASAP (for all you lazy b**tards :) )

Rune
They aren't slow, i downloaded with a top speed of 1.19 MB per sec. :)
I love the animations, thanks for sharing!

PaulyC
12 December 2005, 06:39 AM
Great work here, the Elf dude in the tub with wet maps is awsome. I don't know why people are complaining about shortness? these are bumpers, short tie in's to a commercial campaign from what I can make out. Anyways, great everything, lighting, animation, modeling, lighting lighting lighting.... :P

SlayerCZ
12 December 2005, 09:41 AM
Nice piece of work men, I like it, especially the mood of animation is perfect, nice lightning and character animation, the wet skin of dwarf is brutal, good job:)

Only one critic, the animations are very very short and cuts between animations are very fast and I think little bit intrusive.

Pretty good job!:)

Salaadin
12 December 2005, 09:53 AM
great work...:buttrock:

thx1138
12 December 2005, 10:14 AM
This is so great. I'm now officially in a X-mas mood :)

Leydecker
12 December 2005, 11:27 AM
One of the first times I´ve voted for a thread,
if not the first time. 5 out of 5 for the Design,
Mood and Detail. Lighting, colors, yummie...

It´s a pleasure to watch the compiled clips
frame by frame. Sooo many lovely, tiny details...

Cheers

tim

OggieBoogie
12 December 2005, 11:37 AM
Lovely renderings...just beautiful work!

AndyWhiteley
12 December 2005, 12:53 PM
Why do people still think these are too short and complain about the black cuts, even after nearly 100 posts? It has been explained several times that they are bumpers to commercials, and the black cuts replace the ads. The first clip is the lead-in and the second is the punchline. If it was edited together, they would then complain that the story doesn't make sense! You would have thought they would read more of such a good thread.

CuTnPaste
12 December 2005, 12:59 PM
absolutely 5 stars for me

great work

jimjunky
12 December 2005, 01:25 PM
Inspiring. Can't think of anything wrong with them, great style and timing. I'm jealous.

mlanser
12 December 2005, 01:27 PM
Just one word! Awesome! Great Quality, Great Animation, Nice Mood, Awesome Modeling.
Nothing to point out for crits.

ekho
12 December 2005, 04:59 PM
Simply fantastic!The character,the render,everything is soo coool:bounce:

VinceB
12 December 2005, 05:17 PM
Wonderful! Looks better than the ones on swedish tv at the moment ;)

Gal
12 December 2005, 05:38 PM
breath taking composition and lighting, i loved the atmosphere.. superb job of the lighters/compositors and the env designers.

neofg
12 December 2005, 06:09 PM
A 5 stars work...
I have just one question... What kind of lighting u used, in general...?
It's fantastic...and images are so clean... Can u write in great lines how u make the lighting of the scenes and what settings u set for MR FG, and GI...? Uh?
Thanks...

SheepFactory
12 December 2005, 07:50 PM
man the outside scene with the snow and the moon was simply incredible , awesome job guys! :thumbsup:

SuperRune
12 December 2005, 09:21 PM
Thank you all so very very much for all your kind comments, this is just overwhelming!

I will try to put ut some hires images of the job tomorrow for those who want to study or have them as wallpapers :)

Rune

Prevenge
12 December 2005, 09:47 PM
Thank you all so very very much for all your kind comments, this is just overwhelming!

I will try to put ut some hires images of the job tomorrow for those who want to study or have them as wallpapers :)

Rune

Rune, maybe some very short tutorial or explanation for lighting and shaders you used? :-) for fur ? and bubbles and snow?

probie
12 December 2005, 09:51 PM
I love this. The little elf is a riot and indeed gave me something to work towards.

lollygag
12 December 2005, 10:51 PM
The last time I posted a work here, it was a couple of sperm looking for action inside a colon.This time I will try not to be as provocative

I dont think there is any "Action" in a colon.. i think for a Sperm.. (obviously looking for action)

a colon would be the biggest (and last) let down of its short squiggley life

nice work tho sir..

Boristone
12 December 2005, 11:00 PM
Excellent work men... Little shots, but huge in quality!!...I save the movie for to help me like a reference.

Congrats :thumbsup:

PAL
12 December 2005, 01:59 AM
Great work! But I thought this is hobbit or dwarf, but not Santa. If Santa then he's really sick man :) He should looks like that man, imho.

http://www.arctictravel.ru/pole/fest_gallery/poleofcold_09.jpg

ailu
12 December 2005, 03:14 AM
nice ones :) saw them on the telley.

The nearest character in popular culture to the norwegian "nisse", atleast when it comes to looks. Would be santas little helpers. I think irish/scottish folk stories have theese mythological characters aswell.

Very well made, you guys should make a cg-movie someday ;)

ajsfuxor
12 December 2005, 04:31 AM
Great work guys, really amazing stuff.

Some questions.

1) How was the DOF created? In post or in render? (My fav is the DOF if these pieces)
2) The fur? Which package? Did you have any problems rendering it without any flickering?
3) Was there any FG/GI used? Or is it simple lighting with normal lights?
4) You have used a fantastic ice/snow shader here, which glints ever so slightly as the camera angle changes. Care to talk about it?

One again, fantastic work.

HieSpike
12 December 2005, 04:45 AM
That is some very nice work. Totally killer. Just the best, I love it, love it. Can't say enough. Move over PDI, move over Disney, it's time for the Norwegians to take center stage. You guys have to make a film - I don't even care what it's about, as long as it looks like that. That is what I think 3D computer animation should look like. Almost makes me want to switch softwares as well (yes, I'm still a Lightwave person). Anyway, great work and Merry Christmas!

peace,
Kane

el_mone
12 December 2005, 09:16 AM
Short, but really well done man. I like the rat trap one, is funny how hits the cheese, hehehe, a bit more weight feeling on it might be great, but man that little pieces rocks.

Cheers,
Ivan.

orlenka
12 December 2005, 09:57 AM
I really love it! especially the mood in each scenes!! beautiful!!! can't wait for christmas :)

dines
12 December 2005, 10:05 AM
Great animation...

love the style and the mood, it is simply great.

someday or maybe for next xmas a short?
I like the length because it is just teasing ... it makes you want to see more.

So after you guys published a "fantastic trailer" :rolleyes: ...

We want the movie :buttrock: ....

GREAT WORK !!!

Kermo
12 December 2005, 01:09 PM
So realistic and fantastic quality work. Congts. all models, animation and lights awesome.

YaoYoYo
12 December 2005, 01:50 PM
fantastic work! Like to see the finish version!

monkeyCode
12 December 2005, 02:05 PM
All i have to say is wow :thumbsup:

God Jul and keep up the good work :)

SuperRune
12 December 2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks again for all your comments!!

Great work guys, really amazing stuff.

Some questions.

1) How was the DOF created? In post or in render? (My fav is the DOF if these pieces)
2) The fur? Which package? Did you have any problems rendering it without any flickering?
3) Was there any FG/GI used? Or is it simple lighting with normal lights?
4) You have used a fantastic ice/snow shader here, which glints ever so slightly as the camera angle changes. Care to talk about it?

One again, fantastic work.

1: The DOF was done in post using Frischluft Lenscare. Check it out, it's a fast and beautiful looking DOF plugin for After Effects compatible programs.

2: The hair/fur/fluffies was standard Maya fur rendered using Mental Ray hair primitives. It flickered a lot, but we reduced that somewhat by rendering at a slightly higher rez and then downscaling.

3: No GI used at all. There was an occlusion pass on the shots when the Nisse was outside and around the houses, but other than that it's lit using standard spots and point lights.

4: Thanks :) I'm not sure about the specifics of the shader, but the glitter element was rendered separately and then I boosted and tweaked separate parts of the glitter inside Fusion to make it stronger where needed.

Somebody asked earlier how the moon was made. It's really really simple, just a still image with some painting in Photoshop to enhance a couple of details :)

Cheers,
Rune

Petter
12 December 2005, 03:24 PM
I love it!
You have done a great work with everything. I especially like the snow, lightning and the overall mood that are set in the scene.
When watching it I got the Christmas feeling back.

aaronwhite
12 December 2005, 08:21 PM
absolutely amazing, i think each spot really captures the atmosphere of the stories being told, very inspirational. it's hard to choose a favourite but if I must, I love the imagary of the sledge full of presents being pulled up the hill. how did you manage the splatter of snow when the little guy falls?

awesome work.

- aaron

Lassjus
12 December 2005, 11:51 PM
I just have to reply to PAL, because that is the way the old Norwegian Santa looks like. He lives on the farms and takes care of the animals. And in christmas-times you put out food to him as a kind of "thank you". A real Norwegian christmas-card has this cind of "nisse" with a classical Norwegian farm. Very Nice pictures. I have seen the animations on TV2, and they look great!

Nissen er akkurat som han skal være!
Lasse

AlbertArt
12 December 2005, 12:34 AM
These look great! I especially like the lighting and texturing. THats a nice looking Hat he wears aswell.

AndyWhiteley
12 December 2005, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info on lighting, Rune. I was interested to hear that you didn't use GI, rather opting for an ambient occlusion solution, I guess for speed.

Is it possible to post some images of the render passes which you used to build up a shot? The bowl and spoon shot would be great.

Loulu79
12 December 2005, 02:29 AM
Not bad Not bad at all...it's done swell...lighting, texturing...everything.

The only 2cents I'll give...is that the character (I know he's half elf and gnome...but 4got the name) lack a tiny bit of luster in his reaction. It just missing a little livliness. Animation is swell alright...it's just my taste.

And that's my 2cents.:)

Edit: Yeah...it's only one of them that throws me off just a slight...it's the first one. The way he shakes his head .... should have more oomph to his feisty/humble personality. If someone throws a snowball at me I'd react differently. Again, it's my taste. ;)

Congrats on front page and Happy Holidays!

Likesyrup
12 December 2005, 03:31 AM
Perfect Rendering good animation. five stars amazing work.

blz
12 December 2005, 10:20 AM
simply awesome

pixelranger
12 December 2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies!
I, and I think I speak for everyone on the team, totally had a blast making them. I only wish we had gotten a bit more time to really polish them and overcome some technical obstacles. Well well, I definately learned alot and I think we'll be better prepared for a task like this next time.

The snow is a combination of modelling in maya, unwrapping and additional modelling in LW, sculpting and bump map making in Zbrush (for the "layering" effect of snow that freezes, melts, freezes, melts and then freezes again) and a blinn shader with various textures in the traslucency-, ambient color-, and bump channel.
We also found a good use for the mental ray bump flakes shader.
On top of that, we rendered out a glitter pass using a custom specular- and bump map. The glittering was also stweaked a lot in Post, as Rune said. We rendered individual passes for each light for the snow/environments and they were color corrected and composited in post.

Our pipeline is mostly maya-based, but we used other software as well.
For instance, most layouts were... laid out in Max, transfered to maya via FBX, and lit and textured there.
Alot of props, and the nisse, were modeled or refined in LightWave's Modeler and exported to maya via the obj-format.
And alot of things, mostly the nisse and environmental stuff like snow and trees and bushes were refined and sculpted in Zbrush.

merry christmas to everyone!!!

RickBinkley
12 December 2005, 02:33 PM
Your studio did a great job, and a great learning tool on how to do things right. I hope you will share more in the future.

SuperXCM
12 December 2005, 05:11 PM
Beautiful and magic! And the character is really funny! Thanks for explain how you did! :bounce:
Hope one day we can have bumpers like that in belgium :cry:

Great works all the team!! :beer:

absolute_d
12 December 2005, 09:33 AM
Dead Sexy...colors are great, mood is great. Just freekin great!

D

Neejoh
12 December 2005, 12:21 PM
My god! This is awesome!!! Not really a christmass person but this, damn... Makes me all fuzzy inside ;) It's almost too bad I don't see them them on TV...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me!

Rubenstube
12 December 2005, 02:41 PM
In Norway, we used to belive in the "Barn santa"(?!)
thats more what he is trying to illustrate.
You may not think at this as the right christmass mood, but this is our tradition, and we like it :)
But one thing i dont like, Toxicdesign sounds like it was founded by a 10years old boy :/
Should be more like Toxic Pixels Design.

Hansybear
12 December 2005, 09:05 PM
Man! I just saw this on the tv over here in norway :D
Funny to see who made it, i actually wondered, cause it's so good!

Pixelated
12 December 2005, 11:14 PM
I just saw a few seconds, and I think that is an excelent job. Anyone have a server to upload the file, cause I just saw a few seconds, an then it brakes up.

Thanks in andvance

And congrats for the really nice job.

Merry Christmas !!

Maxko
12 December 2005, 11:18 PM
That's really GREAT!!!

Naughty
12 December 2005, 01:58 AM
Its nice to sit in Norway and se that nice animation on tv. its GREAT. CONGRATULATIONS

rikjm
12 December 2005, 02:43 PM
wow!! it's really great!!

I like a lot the "look and feel", I just can't wait to see a whole film of it!!

- I wanted to ask something... the cloth of his hat ... is only shading??

Congratulations!!!

Rik.

voodoofactory
12 December 2005, 11:34 AM
Awesome atmosphere. Definetely nice and cozy: christmassy...

I do have one question/request: could we have a look at a non-shaded version of the nisse or it's texture map? The little guy's skin looks great and I'd really like to know what part of that is textures and what's shaders and lighting. If you don't want to share these 'secrets of the trade' I can fully understand, but at least give us some information on how you achieved this look.

Thankyou in advance.

Drakaran
12 December 2005, 07:15 PM
thanks for editing them into one mov. they are great shorts, hope you get a longer job to do next time. *cheers!*

cypherx
12 December 2005, 10:18 PM
I could care less if these were short, though I would LOVE to see a full length feature just on this guy alone! I mean, what a character! Ha, this was wonderful, I really don't know what else to say, I don't have much knowledge on 3-D, but I know it takes an incredible amount of effort to even put together a still shot that's just mediocre... this was just excellent!

I so need to see more!

cypherx
12 December 2005, 10:20 PM
ps

I had no problem viewing this at all... it didn't break up or anything for me

geniussteam
12 December 2005, 03:14 PM
the light is so great !
i like it !

Vitoratti
That is truly Awesome! amazing work dude!
Well done to everyone involved in this project.
I really love all the works of those guys, and I'm absolute sure them everyone love too.

CGTalk Moderation
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.