View Full Version : Guys, just uploaded my 2005 showreel
12 December 2005, 07:27 PM
yes, it is online now at http://www.armandigital.com/showreel
your comments are most welcomed:)
12 December 2005, 07:43 PM
No music, right? I didn't hear any which sometimes can be a good thing.
I thought the intro shot was too dark to tell what was going on.
There was something funny about the first explosion scene. The ground all of a sudden looked like lava.
You could do without that first greenscreen shot opening to the raft on water. It didn't make sense.
I liked the snowslide sequence and futuristic city scene.
The bear doing jumping jacks was funny.
Traditional art was o.k.
Good luck with it. :)
12 December 2005, 08:42 PM
I like the kinda "Wipeout" looking future city best, I'd either cut the speedboat or finish it (could use textures, also I can see the polys on the inflatable area, either smooth it or do it as a wire if your intention is to show the modelling).
Make the bear do either the MC Hammer dance or "Saturday Night Fever" and it would be so much cooler.:D
Other than that, I mostly agree with S2N
/2p worth, good luck.
12 December 2005, 10:55 PM
I wish you the best of luck with that mate.
Your gonna need it :rolleyes:
12 December 2005, 11:13 PM
Signal to Noise: yes...no music, i figured out when they watch demoreel they turn it down anyways and this demoreel is not aimed for any music composition skill.
you are right, it looks too dark in comp screen, it was looking okey in CRT! but yea, i will brighten it up. In the explosion, it was supposed to be road developed cracks by sudden atomic hot wave that will expose hot lava. Seems it is not clear enough, I will work on that. Thanks for the tips. the green screen in ocean shot i put to explain that it is not a 3D model on the boat, which could have been easier than puting a live action footage. But you are right, it does not go withh the flow.
SpeccySteve: wish i could make a "saturday night fever"..but i am not an animator:(..this one is aimed mainly for visual effects, and i put the bear to show dry,wet fur movement only. I also did not really liked they way the boat looks, but as it is effects reel, i thought people would be more interested to see the particle and water simulation there. Sorry for the confusion. Never the less, I am working on the boat.
mrflynn: you are hurting me...is it that bad:(
but thanks guys, it helped me a lot1
12 December 2005, 11:42 PM
Wheeeeere to start.. Im going to give you a full and honest crit as if youre handing this reel to employers, as you havent stated otherwise.
1) This is the general forum, you should probably post this in the forums setup and maintained specifically for posting reels and artwork.
2) You provide your shot breakdown in .doc formats, so no one casually browsing your website can actually have a look at what you did yourself and you're assuming they have MS office installed.
3) The explosion is ok, but he motion of the truck is terrible, it touches the ground then slides along as if it were on some rail
4) As soon as the boat scene starts, I'm totally ignoring whatever camera tracking or automatic angle changing thing you have, because im fixated on your disco ball boat with no phong shading on it.
5) What is the concert scene showing employers? That you know how to turn on the chroma keying button? The mirrored audience in the foreground is also as distracting as the disco boat, it just makes me cringe.
6) The juddering movement of the truck in the old fashion scene made me think you'd just done a really bad job of framerate conversions, when you may have intended for it to somehow be a bad quality clip on purpose
7) The flock of birds and avalance scenes, possibly the more interresting looking parts last a combined 3 seconds, show off the better parts more.
8) the hair WIP simulation test looks terrible, honestly it looks like youve played with your first hair plugin for 10 minutes. Elastic hair magically bouncing through her head and other hair
9) the traditional artwork, the photos are ok, but a waste of time on a TD reel. The rest of it, its probably best to drop it from all future reels.
12 December 2005, 12:09 AM
ah.....was this done in the 80's?:curious:
12 December 2005, 03:30 AM
Im sorry if what I said really hurt but if your being taught to this standard and alarm bells arent ringing then I think you should really consider adjusting yourself.
Its crap, I viewed it on the premise it was an animation reel (sorry :blush: ) but since you seem to want to go mainly for effects then ill give you some nice tips (take em with a pinch of salt as im only on my 2nd yr and consider myself crap too :arteest: )
Rent a few movies using lots and lots of sfx
watch the interesting bits over and over, and over again. Note how the sfx studios managed it and try copy them until your ripping your hair out (not literally :P )
I aint gonna lie its probaly gonna take a year of the above to get you shipshape in the skills your gonna need to get a job being a cut above everyone else all that thing :P .
I wish you good luck, and when i post my animation shortly, ill look forward to a honest reply :)
12 December 2005, 03:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.