View Full Version : Lion-o

Zephyri
11 November 2005, 05:37 PM
Hrmm.. are we allowed fanart on here? It's not something I usually indulge in, but after I found the most fantastic site about 80s cartoons, and relived my childhood all over again, squeeling loudly over shows such as Bucky O Hare, Bravestarr, Jayce and the wheeled warriors and She Ra, I nearly fell over backwards when I found a video file of the start of the Thundercats. Reminded me how totally awesome traditional animation can be, and how fantastic the show used to be. So I immediately grabbed my tablet and started sketching. And I liked the result enough to want to finish it. Knowing my track record, it ain't likely... but you never know. I might call it technique practice.

So here we have Lion-o, taking a break from Thundercatting and fighting evil toilet-paper covered bad guys. Just cause he's a sexy kitty... rawr.

Taken about 3-4 hours so far, in PSCS2, and I've used various refs from the show and a couple of photo refs to help me place features in the right place, like eyes, nose, fingers, that sort of thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/xephyri/lion-o.jpg

BlueNyte
11 November 2005, 06:03 PM
This is awesome. Are you going to take it all the way?

Elsie
11 November 2005, 09:28 PM
Hehe very cool stuff Sam ^_^ The expression is looking fab, and I love the hair and the shades used on it so far - more updates please! :D

Zephyri
11 November 2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the feedabck guys, Bluenyte, yes, I truly hope so! And Elsie thanks, and more updates right here...

Decided to expand on the picture and put in something for the fellas. *grin* Cheetara, along with She Ra were probably my two favourite female cartoon characters.. which thinking about it explains a lot.

Thoughts on any of the anatomy here or composition are very welcome. There's something odd about cheetara's body that i can't quite figure, I've tried flipping it both vertically and horizontally and can't make out what And apologies for the horrendously bright colouring, I'm working on a mac, and having seen it on a pc, I realise the saturation has gone haywire, to say the least. Hopefully this one shouldn't be as bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/xephyri/lion-o2.jpg

TheFirstAngel
11 November 2005, 04:01 PM
cool kitties, knowing your amazing rendering skills i'm looking forward to your progress on this with great expectations hun! keep em coming my sweet Lady!

Squibbit
11 November 2005, 05:53 PM
very cool :thumbsup:

ahh, those old time cartoons...

Zephyri
11 November 2005, 02:12 PM
Angel Thanks hun.. this pic has grabbed me like none of my others have for a while, so I may actually finish it

Squib yeah, we had the best cartoons through the 80s. Hurrah for 80s cheesy themetunes and great animation.

Done more work on the faces and dropped a photo background in for now, just to try and get a feel for the thing as a whole. Shadows just dropped in using layer effects for now, like the grass, I'll either paint them in from scratch or manipulate what I've dropped in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/xephyri/lion-o3.jpg

Elsie
11 November 2005, 02:46 PM
Coming together nicely Sam :D although to me the picture seemed to have a better "weight" when Cheetara was at the top as she takes up less space and is clearly more slender. Still loving the colours on this one!

TheFirstAngel
11 November 2005, 10:38 PM
awesome progress on the characters Hun! Knowing your great skills, it will be a pleasurte to follow another work in progress of yours! keep up the great work!

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2005, 10:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.