View Full Version : custom controllers for bones

Layer01
11 November 2005, 06:09 AM
Hi
I'm trying to set up my character with custom controlers, like the rings and stuff you see so often used to grab instead of the bones.
but i cant figure out how to do this, i've been told to replace the bone in question with the new item, but i cant get this to work, and i though maybe an expression could be made but i'm not sure which variable(s) to use.
thanks

maks
11 November 2005, 01:26 PM
Usually you use a combination of MoveTo and Align expressions, where you move your controller to the desired position, and then align your bone to that controller. That's the principle.

stooch
11 November 2005, 10:02 PM
armatures?

Layer01
11 November 2005, 10:06 PM
armatures?

no not armatures, watch maks reel and you'll see what i mean. On almost all his characters he has controllers that the user can grab etc... but they are not armatures (they are there too though)

i havent tried mks suggestion but it sounds like it wil do the trick (i sure it will in fact) but i will when i get the chance :)

stooch
11 November 2005, 11:03 PM
hmm after using armatures i really fail to see a superior alternative... but thats just me.

maks
11 November 2005, 11:23 PM
Ask Wegg, he hates armatures ;) Personally I think that an armature-only control rig for a body is too confusing, because of the sprite nature of the handles which don't orient with the controlled element and because they always draw in the foreground. I usually rather use them for complemental controls, and for facial rigs.

SpikeWorx
11 November 2005, 04:34 AM
Yes, thatīs right. But what I like about armatures for full body is that you can easily hide the controllers or groups of controllers all together by a simple click.

@maks: Is there a way to hide normal controller objects by an armature? Manually hiding them every time is time consuming?
A command would do.
Canīt find a command for changing the object drawing mode (maybe Iīm just too stupid, but canīt find it :sad: )

That would give me the best of both worlds.

stooch
11 November 2005, 05:57 AM
Ask Wegg, he hates armatures ;) Personally I think that an armature-only control rig for a body is too confusing, because of the sprite nature of the handles which don't orient with the controlled element and because they always draw in the foreground. I usually rather use them for complemental controls, and for facial rigs.

thats why i use double click armatures to collapse handles unless i need them...

hey pmg is it possible to use custom 3d shapes instead of armature icons? this would really be the best alternative...

Suricate
11 November 2005, 06:16 AM
@maks: Is there a way to hide normal controller objects by an armature? Manually hiding them every time is time consuming?
A command would do.
Canīt find a command for changing the object drawing mode (maybe Iīm just too stupid, but canīt find it :sad: )

Mark Wilson did a plug-in for that. It can be found in the Yahoo list in the 'Files' section here (http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4D5wQy_heLfB_Awjj1QKuErKHERwwmZfXvvlZMBGk3oA7lY38BZCLjThjkujHO4o4LKfnPpcpFI2sY7DNjTVbyl0VzI2UI4jfh8HPBGbOcc/MW_SetDisplay.zip). The command itself is called 'MW_DisplayMode'.

SpikeWorx
11 November 2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks Christopher (and of course Mark Wilson... and Maks for posting it @Yahoo).
Thatīs what I need ! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2005, 08:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.