View Full Version : Space Knight

11 November 2005, 03:05 AM
Working on something for a reel- going for a sort of baroque look to it. Right now it's weighing in at about 5500 tris, might need a couple more polys on the face + to round out some parts of the armor. Then it's on to my first attempt ever at normal mapping. I am quite positive my lack of Z-Brush will drive me mad. :P


Slightly older version, neck isn't on right, but it's got a first stab at the high-poly head. (Might scrap that version, though.)

11 November 2005, 04:54 AM
Looks great so far. The concept is really, really cool. Very unique and your vision is crystal clear!

One thing about the mesh, though. If you plan on Zbrushin' it, you should create a "quad" model. Keep it all quads as much as possible, even if it means upping the poly count(most of the normal mapped stuff is 5000+ polys anyways.). Add more subdivisions in the areas that you want to maintain shape and detail. You'll notice if you take this version of the mesh into Zbrush, when you subdivide, it starts to lose the original shape.

Nice start.. :)


11 November 2005, 05:40 AM
Thanks, good to know at least I'm on the right track :D

Yeah, I know I should use quadify this, even though (like I said) I don't have Z-brush- right now my game plan is to create a decently detailed meshes and then convert 'em to subdivs, work on 'em a bit more, reconvert back to polys and then use bump/displacement maps for extra details. I realize this whole thing would be a lot easier with Z-brush, but...:shrug:, gotta use what I've got.

Update on the high-poly version- the smoothed parts are just straight from the poly->subdiv button, no lower level detailing. Also, the poly halves aren't conjoined yet, hence the schizm down the center. And there's a clipping problem on the back of the knee/shin plate, and...<bunch of other things that need fixing>.

11 November 2005, 03:29 AM
cool design..i guess me only thing is that the hands look a bit small, it might be just me though

11 November 2005, 07:46 AM
Update, still working on the textures, fixing some stuff in the normals. Also, some parts are transparent to get around the whacked out openGL drivers for my Radeon that artifacts the crap out of everything opaque when in 'high quality rendering' mode, as you can see.

Hands are a bit bigger now :)

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2005, 07:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.