XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : make a middle joint free to rotate

10-11-2005, 05:31 PM
I've got 3 joint and iwould like that the rotation of the second one doesn't influence the rotation of the other down the hierarchy.
It would be possible?

10-11-2005, 06:17 PM
there are a couple ways you can do this.
First: probably the easiest way is to parent joint 3 to joint 1. Then joint2's rotation will have no affect on it.
Second: if for some reason that isn't what you want, you could create another joint (we'll call it Joint2.5). Place joint2.5 right on top of joint2. Parent 2.5 to 2, then use a multiply/divide node to cancel out the rotation of joint2 (feed Rx,Ry,Rz into 1x,1y,1z of multNode, set 2x,2y,2z to -1, then feed the output into the Rx,Ry,Rz of joint2.5) That will cause joint2.5 to rotate negatively of joint2, cancelling out the rotation.

There are probably a million other ways to do it, but those are two options. Personally I think the first is your best option, I use it all the time in arms and stuff like that.

10-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Could use a little script I wrote that does this.

Script (http://snolan.net/melscripts/snInsertJoint.mel)

Just select a joint and run the script.

Select the joint you want to make independent and hit the button.

10-12-2005, 02:17 PM
thanks guyz...
Nolan your script is cool thanks. The button independent insert make the same thing of dichotomy's first method, wich i've used to solve my problem...
Bye bye

10-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Glad it helped you out.

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2005, 02:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.