Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Hard Fx problem...

09-30-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm trying to set up a scene where three columns topple and break into pieces. A simple enough thing for Hard FX I thought - but boy was I wrong!!

I've keyframed the fall of the columns and set the break to occur when the floor collision occurs. It starts of ok, but I get this horrible 'popping' effect as the pieces come in to contact with one another. If I turn of self interaction they pass through each other.

It would be nice to get a little more scattering when the columns hit but thats the least of my troubles!!

Is there anyway to elimate this?

09-30-2005, 10:08 PM
MIght want to try the sticky option for your collision object.
Im sure you know about the "C4" plugin.

09-30-2005, 10:14 PM
I can see the whole thing now. Looks like u might be using sticky, try bounce. :D

I haven't tried this but maybe u can use smaller collision objects to push various parts of the broken columes after they shatter.

09-30-2005, 10:30 PM
I hate to be one of those people who responds and can't help but,
If you get this figured please let the rest of us know. I had to do a cart full of bread loaves (or is it loafs?) falling over and all the bread would just pop out of the rack instead of falling and sliding. Good luck.

09-30-2005, 11:51 PM
What are your collision settings currently?

Is it sticky? Whats the power?

10-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The problem in the end was the 'size' parameter. Dialed it down to 42% and while not perfect, it stops the popping effect.

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2005, 06:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.