XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Polygon queries

09-13-2005, 03:13 AM
Here are some questions I have regarding polygons in maya...
1) 1stly when I select a faces from a polymesh and do an extract it shortens the normals of the extracted faces from the parent.
Any way to prevent from that from happenening?

2) Is there any mel script out there that can cut up a polymesh into different peices?

3) In maya is there anyway to find out extra ordinatry vertices? An extra ordinary vertex is one that has 3 or 5 edges coming together. An example....

Thanks in advance

09-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Here are my thoughts:

1) Try duplicating your object. Delete the opposite faces on each object. I haven't tested this but I would be surprised if it altered your normals. It sounds like the built-in extract is normalizing your normals.

2) To paraphrase, you want a script that cuts up polygons...that is pretty vague. Maya has some great built in tools for this. Try the Shatter tool (built-in) which has three methods of shattering an object. There is a set of great tools called MJPolyTools that has some incredible tools including edge loops with an attribute slider. There is also Blastcode (free demo available) which which can break up a mesh based on a texture map, or procedurally, etc.

3) Finally you wanted to determine the number of edges at a vertice. Don't forget about Maya's convert selection feature...grab the vertex, convert the selection to edges, dump that result into an array, and count the elements in the array.
if (count == 3) || (count == 5) ...

09-13-2005, 03:29 PM
For (3) you can use the polySelectConstraint command or the "Edit Polygons -> Selection -> Selection Constraints" window. In the Selection Constraints window look under the Geometry and Neighbors tabs.

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2005, 03:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.