Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : TUTORIAL - Digital Master Copy - by Rebeccak

09-08-2005, 04:55 AM
This is just a brief Demo I put together showing the various stages taken in a recent digital Master Copy I did of a painting by Odd Nerdrum called 'Woman with Doorknob'. The real painting is gorgeous ~ Odd Nerdrum lives up to his name and frequently depicts odd, though incredible figures in strange landscapes.

Here I am showing my committment to the Anatomy Forum by utterly embarrassing myself and showing you an OLD oil painting sketch I did MANY years ago ~ did I emphasize MANY??? :) Ah, well. In the interest of education, I present you with my old crap. :)

Recently I decided to salvage this horror of an oil sketch and took a photo of it, shined it up in Photoshop, and called it a day. :)

Hope this proves useful. :)

1. Horrid old oil sketch. I can't believe I didn't trash it. :rolleyes:

2. Fast forward several years, and I finally decide to salvage the thing with Photoshop. Here, correcting some of the major drawing errors and establishing the darks.

3. Tweaking and cleaning up the face, while trying to keep the 'painterliness' of the intial oil sketch.

09-08-2005, 04:57 AM

4. Added a 50% opacity layer filled with color (beigeish, probably) and played with the Blending Modes in Photoshop until I found a color climate I liked.

5. More refining of the facial features, and an attempt to distinguish the background from the face by subduing the contrast between it and her cape.

6. Bringing out the highlights of her cape and adding small touches to the face.

09-08-2005, 04:58 AM

The 'final' image. Well, I guess digital art is never final. :)

Cheers, :)

09-08-2005, 05:20 AM
another excellent process here on Cgtalk!

Thanks Rebecca

09-08-2005, 02:57 PM

Thanks! :) Glad you liked it. :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2005, 02:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.