View Full Version : Spectacular 2D Entry: Michael Dashow

Pages : 1 [2]

walrus
11 November 2005, 08:23 PM
gardogg - some interesting points, thanks for sharing them. But I would hate to post a write-up that would accidentally hurt your feeling about the piece. One that, for example, dispelled any ideas anyone had about the possible relationship between the cavewoman and the Dryosaur next to her. If I went tino any sort of detail that clarified, I'd be taking away from viewers the freedom to bring to the piece their own interpretations.

IceKatze - I don't know, i feel that just the very act of showing anyone an image invites the viewer to "evaluate it with their own narrative context." I don't want to have to hit people over the head with a "This Is Ironic" hammer because they can get there themsleves.

Anyone ever see Terry Gilliam's "Brazil?" The original release or director's cut, not one of the versions with the clipped ending. Anyhow, the version I'm talking about: Was that a happy ending, or a sad one? It could be both or neither, or either/or... but it's up to the viewer to supply their own take on it. It wouldn't have made it better to have Gilliam add aftertext explaining what his interpretation was. Similarly, it's not for me to tell you whether this piece is happy or sad, ironic or straightforward. That's your job, I already did mine! :)

I mean, sure , there are other factors involved... read through everything I've posted in this thread and you'll find that I made a "happy" piece because a lot of others in this competition are already doing run-for-your-life-in-terror kinds of pieces, and because my last 2 CGTalk Challenge entries were run-for-your-life-in-terror pieces and I wanted to do something different. Knowing that gives you a little more insight to me, but does it help understand this painting at all? Is it necessary? I don't know...

just food for thought...

-mike

Vahn
11 November 2005, 01:31 AM
hehe great piece again .. id say youre finished :wise::thumbsup:

they are happy arent they? thats what counts for me :D :D

IceKatze
11 November 2005, 01:45 AM
hi hi

Some of the judges may not be entering the process with that philosophy in mind, I can't imagine it hurting to put something about the contextual inclusiveness of the piece. Well, I *can* but it still doesn't seem very likely. :p Another approach might be to go over the piece in rhetorically analyzing kind of way. If you can show that you did good things decisively and with a purpose, it could be impressive.

Yeah, I'm just grasping for straws, but hopefully one of them will help.

walrus
11 November 2005, 02:04 AM
To tell the truth, I've figured out exactly what I'm going to say in the write up. But I am enojying the philosophical debate about why have write-ups at all! :)

ravioli_rancher
11 November 2005, 02:25 AM
Walrus,

The intelligence and excitment of your work speaks for itself.

Part of the write-up includes everything you've already posted. The judges will glance through your previous posts and see you clearly know what the Haties your talking about. There might even be moral standards that suggest if they don't, then contestants are allowed to form a mob and eat them.

The job of every kickass artist in this challenge is to make the judges sweat and tremble and curse, "Sonofabitch I don't know which one to pick! Everyone's going to hate me!"

So, I vote you keep it simple by making a write up in caveman speak.

Just say something like,

This mine. It a painting about M-Theory and the eleventh dimension and lizards. Me hope you like. A lot.

It's extremely scary to see such an obviously gifted artist fret over contest rules. Part of the creative process, I suppose.

Whatever you decide to writeup will fit. Though, in the past contests, I've noticed reallly wordy posts, like this one, are penalized with low scores, probably because all the judges hate writeups too, and can't stand to read them. But, they have to be done, just to make everything legal. Everyone knows that if an illiterate contestant won, somebody would have to go to jail and CGTalk would have to be renamed CGShutYoFace. :shrug:

That all me have to say on subject. That, and me think painting really good. :arteest: :arteest: :arteest: :drool:

TheFirstAngel
11 November 2005, 02:47 AM
sweet, things come together nicely. looking forward to see your bombastic final!

nothing to crit cuz your toonstyle is sweet n kick ass rocks. keep on rockin mate! :buttrock: :beer:

BaronImpossible
11 November 2005, 01:42 PM
Ha! Brilliant, no crits here. The lighting and the expressions really make this one.

beelow
11 November 2005, 04:23 PM
The characters really make this piece good luck with you entry walrus, what else is there to do, not much, good luck!:thumbsup:

walrus
11 November 2005, 04:35 PM
ravioli_rancher - thanks for the post, that made me laugh! (Especially your version of the write-up.) And you actually nailed it on the head, my very brief write-up is going to be in the voice of one of the cave-people.

But don't worry, I'm actually not fretting about the rules at all. In the end, I don't honestly think any of our write-ups will matter in the least bit. I half suspect that how well you even fit the theme matters all that much in the CGChallenges either... in the end, it's all about a pretty piece of art. If it makes the judges go "wow," who cares what it's a picture of? They're certainly not going to take anything away from a stellar piece just because it had an awkward wrrite-up. And they certainly won't place a poorer piece over a really good piece just because it had some great words attached.

I suspect that the main reason for the write-ups is to help explain why some of the pieces are spectacular in the cases where it's not immediately obvious. The juudges will have enough art to look at to worry about reading through everyones' threads to figure them out.

My piece, however, speaks for itself... as does every other entry with a big explosion or fireball. Here's an inside scoop, folks: Throw in a big explosion and your piece is instantly Spectacular! Add one today, before it's too late! :D

Angel, Baron, and Beelow - Thanks for the words. Good to know that discerning eyes such as your own haven't found anything worth fixing on this either... Guess I might be actually done! :)

-mike

zpapageo
11 November 2005, 04:55 PM
Hey, Walrus. Awesome, Awsome funny piece! This should be the last scene in the next Land Before Time sequel. The cavegirl is just so cute. I love the contrast between the happy cute characters and the evil sky. Congratulations on finishing an excellent piece.

walrus
12 December 2005, 05:54 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8205/8205_1133416456_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8205/8205_1133416456_large.jpg)

"Wow, look at all the pretty lights in the sky... Hey, everyone, come check this out! This is the most awesome thing you'll see in your entire life!"

MoonVisionStudio
12 December 2005, 06:27 AM
Not only did you nail the theme of the challenge, but your rendering is Great!

MichaelZHsee
12 December 2005, 06:44 AM
yeah~~! u did it~thats one fantastic fireball.spectacular indeed:)congrats and good luck mike:thumbsup:get some rest now~hehe

GonzaloGolpe
12 December 2005, 09:47 AM
Heyy!!you´ve finished it!!congrats!!!a wonderful image, one of the best from my point of view:beer: Good luck, Mr.Walrus!!:wavey:

Zalo

monsitj
12 December 2005, 12:17 PM
congratulations man! you done it ! very nice charactor and story is fun too , I don't have to read but I feel " spectacular" when I just saw the image ! good job man! and good luck too!

andreasrocha
12 December 2005, 12:22 PM
Great work, Mike. Really funny...Congrats, once again!

rawwad
12 December 2005, 01:43 PM
Congratz Walrus! :applause:

Another time you show us, how make fantastic cartoon style picture.
THis one is so cool, I like it :thumbsup:

Norberg
12 December 2005, 02:12 PM
Great job, this is awesome, every part of it is so well rendered. Really funny to.
Good luck Michael!

walrus
12 December 2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks, everyone! Glad you feel I did a decent job of hitting the theme and miking the image. Nice to have that off my plate... now I can work on holiday cards! ;-)
Good luck to those of you still getting in some last minute crammin in to get yours done!

-mike

Fahrija
12 December 2005, 11:36 PM
Didn´t want to miss saying congrats for finishing your image. Hadn´t have enough time to drop by earlier. Very solid work and I just can agree to the others > You´ve nailed the topic perfectly.

Have some nice holidays:thumbsup:

fahrija

Arc80
12 December 2005, 04:30 AM
Congrats on finishing it dude. This came out really NIIICE. Another strong piece coming from you bro. Great colours too.
Goodluck and see you around again.

cheers :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bounce: :buttrock:

Squibbit
12 December 2005, 04:46 AM
good stuff again, mike, i only don't get the dude's pose, he's like he's
gonna scratch the meteor like a little kitten :surprised

I see TeemuR's point with the stronger shadows on the characters, you might
make a version of it, even if it's after contest, just to see how it looks like, but
yea as you said, it looks fine this way too

and one more thing i gotta say , i can't quite grasp which way the metor is going, it
looks strangely flat to my eyes.. :shrug:

Aedilhum
12 December 2005, 05:51 AM
I like it. I like how excided and oblivious the characters are.
To me the meteor looks like its going to land in the middle of the waterish.
I have to agree that the guy kinda bothers me, his finger looks like he wants to try and tickle the medeor and his eyes are not looking at, it unless it is 3ft wide and 4ft above his head... But I don't think it matters to much considering the style. Good work and cograts on finishing.

beelow
12 December 2005, 06:46 AM
congrats on the final image walrus good luck, holla!:applause:

Lync
12 December 2005, 07:10 AM
Yep, that's awesome. I love it! Congratulations for finishing in time! It is brilliant.

Now all there is left to do is wish you good luck :)

GOOD LUCK! :buttrock:

walrus
12 December 2005, 04:41 PM
Fahrija, Archie, Beelow, and Lync - Hey there, thanks for the notes! Good luck to all of you in finishing yours as well... 'Though I've been by and most of you are pretty close (the ones who haven't started from scratch this week! :D )

Squibbit & Aedilhum - I can see where you're coming from, but I'm happy with it as it is... Which is a good thing, given that I've already submitted the final version! But next challenge, please drop by a little earlier in the 3-month period. I'd love to hear and be able to consider your input while I'm still working on the piece :)

-mike

Rebeccak
12 December 2005, 05:21 PM
Awesome and hilarious at the same time! Congratulations! :applause:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Steve-h
12 December 2005, 05:58 PM
Well done dude, great image. I really love the sky and the expressions on all of the characters faces.

:thumbsup:

duddlebug
12 December 2005, 06:23 PM
Congratulations on getting it all done and submitted Mike!

i know you had a busy period in your life running into this chellenge, and i've gone awol a couple of times because of the distractions of real life away from my wacom!

It's a fun image with great colours! The best of luck!

(And thnaks for the input on my thread, even when i've been neglecting the forum!)

MichaelCTY
12 December 2005, 06:31 PM
Hi micheal,thats a great piece of work,nice colour with cool concept,and totaly in your own style ,congratz on finishing it and good luck to you:)

Atris
12 December 2005, 12:48 PM
Hi! This's a very very impressive sight! It makes a powerful impression on me! Congratulations! I wish you good luck and success! :)

KangarooMan
12 December 2005, 10:46 PM
Wow, very beautiful and stunning image! I love all your characters' personalities, makes you want to know their individual stories, too bad there is that extinction thing. ;) Also you did an excellent job with your choice of colors, they guide you through the image perfectly. :applause:

Matt

anilduran
12 December 2005, 01:09 AM
that seems really impressive my bro...
, i'm sure that, this is a really spectacularty action for theme 60 millon years ago he hehe....
good luck...........:argh:

Tranchefeux
12 December 2005, 04:01 PM
Hi, your painting final is really cool, good luck. E.T :cool:

walrus
12 December 2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks, everyone! Glad you found it funny, well-rendered, and everything else. I'm happy with how it came out, so it's good to see it working for others as well.

duddlebug - Thanks, Jonny. Yeah, I guess it was a realyl busy period. The funny thing is, I'd forgotten all about the beginning fo the challenge when I was busy buying a new home, moving, in a new job and all of that... because these last few weeks, especially this last one when I've been in serious 60+-hour-a-week crunch-time, has totally occupied my mind instead. But now it's all done... well, except for that magazine cover I still have to finish... Eeep!

michael - thanks! Yeah, it definitely is in my style! :)

Catch you all later...!

-mike

paperclip
12 December 2005, 11:02 PM
Once again, great stuff!

I still prefer your M & S, it was hilarious, but this is another gem too...good luck!

TheFirstAngel
12 December 2005, 01:23 AM
lol, simply wanted to drop by to congratulate you on your gread finnish :) lovely work Mike, best of luck and keep on rocking:buttrock::beer:

Fish-KAart
12 December 2005, 03:12 AM
Its FAN!:bounce: Super! :thumbsup: i lake it!God lack!:)

jugeras
12 December 2005, 03:52 AM
:D :D :D - tons of humor - loads of fun - great piece. cheers man :thumbsup:

beelow
12 December 2005, 08:11 AM
Hey Walrus, thanx again for your input on my entry, best of luck to you on your entry, Love the humour in this one!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Squibbit
12 December 2005, 08:14 AM
But next challenge, please drop by a little earlier in the 3-month period. I'd love to hear and be able to consider your input while I'm still working on the piece :)

-mike

pffft, U think I can be everywhere at once? Well, ok, come next challenge, I'll be,
it's a promise :thumbsup:

MVDB
12 December 2005, 08:14 AM
Very stylized art! Lovely characters and most of all: Very good job on the spectacular theme.. Best of luck to ya! :thumbsup:

Miyagu
12 December 2005, 04:06 PM
hi mike, congrats! :bounce:

this is such a joyful image :) and i still remember your master & servant piece which was great too!

my best wishes and i hope to cu around next time!

spacesnail
12 December 2005, 04:18 PM
Hello Mike

a big thank for your precious advices :thumbsup:
And congratulations for finishing in time ! and of course good luck !!!

See you soon on the next challenge

Manu

walrus
12 December 2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks, all! So now I guess we sit around and wait for 3 months for the judging to take place... Time to put it all out of our heads, really. No use worrying or wondering about it because it'll be a really long time to wait on pins and needles. Besides - and I know this is probably blasphemy - I don't actually care about any of the prizes except for the Ballistic Matte painting book! The prize list is just not the same without the Wacom Cintique on it! Coolest prize ever... :)

More importantly, I got another cool piece out of the competition and one more thing to add to the portfolio, which I've been trying to steer away from serious work and more into the fun stuff. Not that I know what I'm putting together a portfolio for, as I have no time for freelance work anyhow. (That didn't keep me from taking on a job doing a cover for Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine. It's due in less than 2 weeks now... Eeek! I don't know if I'll be able to show it before it's published but you can look for it in May of 2006...!)

-mike

Vahn
12 December 2005, 07:28 PM
hehe grats for this joyfull & funny artwork :D

I still hope that youll always be here when these challenges take place as i consider you a great artist :blush::D:bowdown::beer:

zpapageo
12 December 2005, 09:18 PM
Congratulations again on finishing your piece, michael. Its a really fun picture.

I agree about the Cintiq. I wasnt involved in the last challenge, but if I was, I would've been praying for 2nd.

Congrats again and good luck

Korline
12 December 2005, 09:33 PM
congrats on finishing, :thumbsup:
very cool style :bounce: :bounce:
good luck man :thumbsup:

Fahrija
12 December 2005, 10:39 PM
The prize list is just not the same without the Wacom Cintique on it! Coolest prize ever... :)

-mike

exactly this thought also came to my mind some months ago! Damn I just confirm that.

MechaHateChimp
12 December 2005, 09:50 PM
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the kind words on my thread. Coming from a tremendous illustrator such as yourself it is an absolute honor :)

I gotta say, I am blown away by your final image. The colors are unreal! Dude, I remember being a 13 year old video game addict and looking at the covers for games released on the sega master system or nintendo and just drooling... that stuff was fuel for me when I was a kid. I could stare at those things for days wondering how they were made and trying my hardest to mimic what I saw.

Your image has that quality that makes me nostalgic for those days.

BTW, I still think my favorite part are the leaves on the trees. I love the way that came out. The texture on the stegosaurus is equally amazing. Your skills and sense of humor are the perfect combination that make this a simply superb image. Cant say it enough.:buttrock:

anilduran
12 December 2005, 01:49 PM
Thats very good final image my bro...
I liked so much. This is the most important moment of our age...
very enjoyable image..
good lucks my bro

walrus
12 December 2005, 04:43 PM
Hey, all.

Fahrija & zpapageo - Yeah, no Cintiq this time around. :sad: That was really cool - Also the sort of thing I could never justify buying for myself but would love to own. Some of the prizes this time around... E-on Vue? BodyPaint? Cinema 4D? ZBrush? A lot of these seem more geared for 3D artists than 2D... Many seem destined to end up on eBay, I fear. :shrug:

Mecha Hate Chimp - Gee, Joel, I'm just blushing from your effusive post. I'm not sure what to say, aside from Thank You! :) I'm flattered!

anilduran - Thanks, glad you like it!

iamawizard
12 December 2005, 06:43 AM
Hi Walrus,

nice work, and thanks for the response.

this was my first time and was in a hurry to complete the challenge.

next time i'll see that i enter the contest earlier.

thanks and regards

Sivaprasad Velayudhan

behzad
12 December 2005, 03:48 PM
So cute, love it, they think it is funny, :wip:

CGTalk Moderation
12 December 2005, 03:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.