View Full Version : rigging - head/neck/jaw bone structure

akewt
11 November 2002, 01:04 PM
has anyone got a link to an image that shows the points where the neck head and jaw should rotate so i can setup a good realistic bone structure. its essential that its anatomically correct. (tried grays and cnat find a figure). otherwise you could draw on this image.

thanbks in advance

tsuru
11 November 2002, 08:54 PM
www.fineart.sk is a good place to start... check out the misc area for skeleton structures etc. images.google.com can also be of use too.

akewt
11 November 2002, 09:44 AM
cheers dude, i'll check it out. quite new to rigging, in fact i'm a complete novice!! start with the hard stuff! a head...

Stahlberg
11 November 2002, 06:45 AM
I've never seen an anatomy book explain exactly where the axis of rotation are so here: for the atlas, the highest joint of the spine: the green one is the Y rotation (in a Y-up scene), the blue one is the X-rotation. The lower blue one shows the lowest joint of the neck.

Note that the spine is thicker than most people think, and also note that each vertebrae pivot-point is located close to the inner side. All this puts the spine joints much deeper inside the thorax than most people would assume.

http://www.androidblues.com/headscreengrabv.jpg

akewt
11 November 2002, 10:28 AM
thats brilliant stahlberg. just what i needed to get it looking right. i found the jaw position in the grays anatomy figures, just couldnt find where the head and neck rotates from. :)

[edit] just seen your thread of the indian girl, thought i'd post my congrats here. you obviously know what your talking about. expressions are great aswell!

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.