XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : beveled edges, realism in mechanical modeling

08-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Ok, I've been modeling for quite a while now, in just about every tool available. One thing thats always been for me a "too much" or "too little" factor is those bevels along the edges of manufactured surfaces. (see image)

now, I'm working on a vehicle, and I'm shooting for film quality photo real here. How far do you take those edges? Put a nice curved 8 row bevel on there? or do what I did, put in an edge to catch the light and use the shading to smooth around the edge?

Just wanted to get feedback and input from the modeling community.

08-17-2005, 09:15 PM
well my take is to either use a bevel/fillet (which has a radius) or I use a chamfer (which has no radius). Not everything in mechanical modeling has rounded edges, which is something alot of people tend to forget. And in the case of using a bevel/fillet to break hard edges, I almost never use more than 3 divisions unless its a very large radius. I use the shading to soften it out from there.

09-07-2005, 03:22 AM
well it really depends how far away u are from the object. a computer chip rendered at 90000 x 9000 or an ocean liner rendered at 100 x 100 ? tailor it for the job.

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2005, 03:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.