View Full Version : Give us the old school techniques, please !

nikopol_gfx
08 August 2005, 04:10 PM
I've recently read lot of old cgtalk archives, and found some interesting old school tips, like volumetric lights with a cone, and other stuff like that. Those tricks can save many hours of rendering time, and make the work easier. Especially the workarounds from "5.6 age" are interesting.

I wish I could hear more from experienced users, if it's possible. Wharever you've got, modelling, surfacing etc.

Have a nice day !

(And pls excuse my bad english;-)

glassefx
08 August 2005, 04:40 PM
I have to agree with your gist... The sum of old techniques are greater than their parts.

Nothing mind-bending but I like playing with heiarchies achieved thru certain parenting structures. Back in 5.6 days LW's motion channels were tied together (I'm sure there is a technically correct term for this) but what I did thru null objects and parenting was stack or blend motions on the same object by moving an objects parent(s). Imagine a BIPED rig having like four wrist IK targets whilst the targets themselves are a parented heiarchy. I also remember parenting two lights to a null while one light is "seperated" from the other to more precisely control its lens-flair glow-only and the other is purly for physical light. I have more books than I would like to have exactly on this subject which I could share somehow? I remember one LW book illustrating a tank-tread thru bones which keep them on their respected wheels. This is combined with a morph somehow...

T4D
08 August 2005, 11:24 PM
instead of using Particles to control HD instance I uses the old LW Worm method

here goes

In Modeler
layer 1 you have a flat plain with a bone chain in the direct you want you HD instances to move ( have as many bones as you need to get a smooth track )

layer 2 have just a copy of the flat plain send to layout ( no bones for this layer )
AND add a endomorphs and move it to the end of the bone chain

Now convert bones and rotation the bones to form the track you want (or over a hill or whatever )

for layer 2 add a dummy bone ( then turn it off ) and then click "uses bones from object "
( and select layer 1 ) and select used morphed position and uses the endomorphs to move the flat plain along the bone chain :)

NO cal time, easy to edit AND you can uses endomorphs to effect the HD's as well :thumbsup:

HD instance was not around back in LW 5.6 days, But those methods are still better then what the "New" Newtek has added over the last few years :rolleyes:

Tee Double U
08 August 2005, 12:35 AM
A quick "google" with keywords "lightwave, 5.6, tutorials" gave alot of interesting leads.. also , you can search the comp.graphics.apps.lightwave newsgroups,, there is alot of history there if you want to look back to the older ways of doing things

CGTalk Moderation
08 August 2005, 12:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.