View Full Version : 3D artist on set...what do I need?

MC T-Roc
10 October 2002, 02:09 AM
I have a gig where I have to render and composite some 3D televisions into a living room...

I have the opportunity to be there on set to use and take any pics, lighting references, etc, and I want to make sure I do this right..

You think its necessary for me to get or make one of those chrome balls on a stick, and a white ball on a stick to get accurate lighting? I thinks its 17% grey, or is that or where would I go about making/buying a cheap ball.....thing?

Forgive my ignorance, I want to do this right.


10 October 2002, 02:12 AM
Garden supply stores usually have the reflective ball beleive it or not there is where most people get them. They are also often called gazing globes.

If you need to do 3d tracking you should measure the stage and mark off the placement of the objects from the set and get their measurements.

If you can bring an assitant it will help you do it faster .. the production crew will be too busy to help you most likely.

MC T-Roc
10 October 2002, 07:30 PM



11 November 2002, 06:02 AM
isnt it 18% grey? anyway if you get one of those globes, you can maybe spray paint one side of it grey...

EDIT: I spelled globes 'blobes' HA!

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.