View Full Version : Lightwave 8.5 feature

gristle
08 August 2005, 07:04 PM
Hi.

I have not seen any speculation on the following listed under the 8.5 news....

New Parts-to-Surfaces tool allows for easier integration of 3D objects created in other applications.

Wonder if this means Lightwave wil have an IGES or other import function?

LightwaveGuy
08 August 2005, 07:49 PM
Native IGES support would be great...

ColinCohen
08 August 2005, 12:33 AM
I believe the point of this feature is to allow you to properly import .objs from formZ.

Werner
08 August 2005, 05:58 AM
I think I'm still asleep...where can I get more info on the 8.5 update. I would like to see everything that will be availible in this release.

thanks

gristle
08 August 2005, 08:14 AM
Only formZ? Where did you hear that? Do they mention other formats at all?

I believe the point of this feature is to allow you to properly import .objs from formZ.

The 8.5 list is here...

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05b.html

It contains the 64 bit release as well.

threedeworks
08 August 2005, 10:41 AM

formz has a very good LWO export, don't see any point here...

nikopol_gfx
08 August 2005, 10:48 AM
I'd like to see native suport in LW for importing the same formats that are exported(3ds, obj etc.). No need for extra plugins or converting software.

As for IGES, I don't think so. IGES is a format especially oriented in NURBS surfaces, and it's very complicated. For example, a considerable portion of Maya deals with IGES I/O.

Werner
08 August 2005, 11:15 AM
Only formZ? Where did you hear that? Do they mention other formats at all?

The 8.5 list is here...

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05b.html

It contains the 64 bit release as well.

cool, Thanks! Anyone know when this will be ready for download. I just bought an AMD dual core 4200+ 64bit system and would like to try this out. :)

gristle
08 August 2005, 11:24 AM
As for IGES, I don't think so. IGES is a format especially oriented in NURBS surfaces, and it's very complicated. For example, a considerable portion of Maya deals with IGES I/O.

Yes it is complicated but so is what I do at the moment to get cad data into Lightwave to render. Out of cad program(normally ProE) into Rhino, surfaces split into colours, texture changes, and then meshed and exported to Lightwave. I remember seeing someone using Studio Viz and importing IGES. They could then specify the mesh level in Viz.

colkai
08 August 2005, 11:38 AM
Anyone else heard that you can't use a parallel dongle with LW8.5 and 9?
OneVideo in the UK are stating you must upgrade the dongle at the same time, with all the hassle of plugin re-registration.
Though strangely, they reckon if you didn't upgrade to LW8 before and just move from 7.5 to 8.3 with a free LW9 upgrade and free Vue5 - you also get a free dongle swap.

I hope someone, somewhere has their wires crossed.

Nu Visual Science
08 August 2005, 12:06 PM
Dongle swap is free anyway ?
I upgraded to 8.3 from 5.6 three weeks ago and the dongle swap was free (That reminds me i better send them paralell dongles back :) )

Also i think the dongle upgrade is only needed for the 64 bit system isn't it ?

colkai
08 August 2005, 12:16 PM
it is free, but only if you're coming from a version prior to LW8

Nu Visual Science
08 August 2005, 12:53 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

jorust
08 August 2005, 01:31 PM
Off topic, but I hope NewTek will drop the dongle for v.NINE... :argh:

ColinCohen
08 August 2005, 02:02 PM
A little while ago, someone wrote me asking to write a surfaces-to-parts plugin, because there was a problem importing .objs from formZ. Before I could respond, he wrote back that Newtek had agreed to write it themselves.

Of course, that doesn't mean that this is its only use; just the impeteus behind it.

gristle
08 August 2005, 02:22 PM
A little while ago, someone wrote me asking to write a surfaces-to-parts plugin, because there was a problem importing .objs from formZ. Before I could respond, he wrote back that Newtek had agreed to write it themselves.

Of course, that doesn't mean that this is its only use; just the impeteus behind it.

Good stuff!! Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
08 August 2005, 02:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.