XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Linking a Dummy to another object's vertices

08-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Hey all,

I know you can add a Poly Select modifier to a mesh, and then add a Link XForm modifier to the mesh, and in turn link that XForm mod to a dummy. The dummy then controls that vertices if you want it to.

However, is there a way to do the reverse. I want to a get a dummy to follow a specific vertices of a mesh. Then I can link object to the dummy to follow the parent object.

Anyone know?

thank you,

08-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Under position Controllers U will find attatchement. Then U have to find right face to attatch to and tweak position on that face.

08-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Couple of things happening when I do that.

First off the object jumps off into space. So it is not aligned how I had it before. I read the Max help file on this "Attachment", but I cannot get my object to center itself perfectly on what I need it to. I have to reposition it after it jumps off into space, and the positioning controls on the Attachment Controller rollout seem to not allow me to reposition it.

Maybe I am making sense.

08-02-2005, 04:30 PM
go to frame 0, and press the "set position" button. then press and hold on your mesh object that you've attached to. You can use the other controls to tweak it.

08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
It is hard to say exact what U need. Try to combine more controlers. Use attatchment just to check position of face-vertex in space. Use list controler and animate weight of attatch or try to use dummies in between obj in hierarchy. Attachment is usefull just to attatch something /dummy maybe/ to deformable meshes.

08-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Put and select the dummy control object to manipulate the vertices.

08-03-2005, 09:20 AM
u need to define a face to attach the object to with the attachment contoller - the manual is good for this sort of thing if you ask me!

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 09:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.