View Full Version : short animation: possessed

Sagadur
07 July 2005, 09:57 PM
Initially this was meant to be a first try to get into modelling a creature...
then a skelleton was needed to pose it ...
and then why not move it ...
but moving without an environment ...

http://home.arcor.de/ugleiss/possessed_p.jpg

Well what started as a sketch became quite a project (for my modest abilities). The creature is a kind of a demon. "Kind of" because the concept in this fantasysetting is a little different: there are more than four elements and one of these is chaos<->order. In most times and places they mix in different amounts to form the world but sometimes a high concentration of one element may occur and even become sentient - an elemental. So Demons are only elementals of chaos which destroy everything they touch - even a human mind which causes Possession.

You may judge by your self if I could transport the above idea (I myself am not so sure ;-) ). And I would appreciate critique and comments - but be kind to a first time animation project.

Software used:
Construction and Animation: Cinema 4D R9
Sounds: Yamaha DX7II, D-Piano
Putting it all together: Adobe Premier 6 LE

And the result:
possessed (http://home.arcor.de/ugleiss/possessed_s.wmv)

Norl
07 July 2005, 07:54 PM
The scene details looked good though more movement is needed, anyway the idea about this fantasy demon realm is actually a true reflection of the unknown in the real world.

Sagadur
07 July 2005, 01:34 PM
You are definitely right Norl and in my own opinion the camera movement seems a bit weird. There are also other flaws which I couldn't solve (ore simply had no more nerve to do so). After quite a time I put into this and after learning a lot while doing so I decided to learn on other projects. Which doesn't mean that I'm not grateful for critique (theres's allways a next try).

Thank you so far.

zombiehead
08 August 2005, 10:37 PM
quick tip: never put a black object in front of a black background.

Sagadur
08 August 2005, 03:10 PM
Thank you for evaluating my intelligence ;-).

I have a problem with this and other works of mine where everything looks totally ok while rendering but looks totally different (most times way too dark) on some other computers. Since I couldn't find the source of the problem (it comes and goes with different algorithms used to build the animation and colourmanagement doesn't seem to be the problem). But being only a hobbyist I might not have the knowledge to detect the true reason for this. So if you got any ideas I would really apreciate if you enLIGHTen me (in the true sense) since the problem also seems to show up with some stills.

tufif
08 August 2005, 09:09 PM
You might try putting the video through some sort of post program like aftereffects, or even just try using the levels controls on any video editor.

Sagadur
08 August 2005, 12:10 PM
Thank you for the advice. I may try to produce a less dark version. Still the problem of very different viewing experiences on different systems remains - but I hope to figure it out sometimes (I just had some new ideas concerning this).

CGTalk Moderation
08 August 2005, 12:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.