LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : TUTORIAL (SHORT) - Sitting Figures - By vikkie

07-17-2005, 06:23 PM
hey, this is my first tutorial. i am no master, guru, or even good but i think i can show something. it is really basic stuff so this tutorial is actually aimed for beginners. It is not how it should be done, it is how i do it.

Just like at figure A, draw a box then one on top of it. The bottom box is the ground where our character will be sitting, it can be a chair, barrel, wood, anything you want. The top box will be our charcthers hip.
- Draw a circle in the top box, a ball actually.
- Now make two holes in that ball, this is where your legs connect to the circle.
- With respect to the perspective of the box. extend two cylinders from that holes(one from each). These are the upper legs.
- Now follow the box's ground line like i tried to show with arrows and find where the feet will be. This is to make the feet and the chair's legs on the same plane.
- Ok, draw 2 more cylinders from that upper legs and the feet.
you are done. now the figure is sitting on the thing you want. and they are on the same plane.

This is also useful to draw a few figures or objects and relate them. Like in figure C the figures are all on the same ground and the lines connecting their feets show their positions from each other.
I hope i could be somewhat useful, have fun.(not with me dammit.)

07-17-2005, 06:36 PM

Thank you for posting this! I love that you are contributing to the community by sharing what you know. It is great that you took the time to do this for us, so I greatly appreciate your contribution! :)

I would also encourage ANYONE who has something to share as a TUTORIAL to DO SO! :)

If the term "MODERN MASTERS" is too intimidating, just post your own thread on the main Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art sub-forum and call it "TUTORIAL <what it's about> by <your name>" ~ you need not get my approval to post your Tutorials.

Thanks for this, vikkie! I think many new people will surely benefit from what you've shared. :)

07-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Hey thanks vikkie, that trick to find where the feet should rest is nice! Some things are so simple yet so hard to come up with...

07-21-2005, 01:50 AM
From Rebecca:

I'm responding to your message here, because I'm having difficulties with staying logged on at home ~ I'll have to figure it out. At any rate!

That's really sweet of you :) ~ thank you!

I actually use the smallest tablet, it's a ET-0405A-U Wacom, it measures something like 8" x 8"? I don't think that's the exact size, but it's around that.

I've found you don't need much larger ~ at least I don't ~ I used to have a much bigger one at work, but it just took up a lot of space, and I had to stretch my arm.

I bought mine a few years ago for about $100 ~ a good investment!

Hope this helps! :)

07-22-2005, 12:03 PM
I actually use the smallest tablet, it's a ET-0405A-U Wacom, it measures something like 8" x 8"? I don't think that's the exact size, but it's around that.
4" x 5" Graphire 3, rebecca. ;)

07-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Hmm, yep, only one of has the name "tech" "teck". ;) Thanks for pointing out my technical flaws, that's great, thanks :scream:. How's Singapore treating you, bud? :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 01:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.