View Full Version : CPU Fan isn't spinning

harmonic01
07 July 2005, 12:57 AM
Hello guys. I was hopiong you could help.

My cpu fan stopped spinning. So, naturaly, I ordered a new one. I installed the new one, and it's not spinning either. :( It was the same fan too, and I plugged the wire in to where it needs to be plugged on the motherboard.

Btw, it is a Dell Dinension 8200 computer. So a bit later I discovered that my Dell came with a whimpy 250 watt power supply. So, I thought maybe power supply just started dying or something. I did install Quadro FX 1100 a while ago which required to be powered by a power supply. So, I ordered a new 420 watt power supply that is compatible with my Dell. I just installed it. Everything works fine but cpu fan still isn't spinning. :(

So, anybody has any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

SweetDreamz
07 July 2005, 01:21 AM
Something faulty with the connection of the fan with the motherboard?

lots
07 July 2005, 05:55 AM
Its also possible the fan plug on the motherboard uses a different pin layout..

In the case of a fan, this is probably just reversed :P since there are really only 2 pins needed...

ambient-whisper
07 July 2005, 06:07 AM
my Mobo has the ability to plug 2 cpu fans. ( well theres 2 plugs anyway ). so if yours has this too, then maybe you can try another cpufan plug?

harmonic01
07 July 2005, 06:31 AM
Thanks guys, I'll look for another plub, although I don't think I saw anything similar on the motherboard. Somebody also suggested that the temperature sensor under my proc is dieing. Any way to test if that's the case?

imashination
07 July 2005, 11:59 AM
1) On some machines the fan switches off when the cpu is not in use

2) grab a cheap little converter cable to turn a molex 4 pin into a fan header, that will keep it spinning, but likely a bit noisier.

harmonic01
07 July 2005, 04:48 PM
imashination, Thanks. I don't mind noise at all as long as it spins. :)

CGTalk Moderation
07 July 2005, 04:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.