View Full Version : Assign vertex number

westiemad
06 June 2005, 04:44 PM
is it possible to assign either vertex or face numbers to a piece of geometry using mel, so far i can't find a way. Or is this gonna be a plugin job?

EDIT: Ignore that, doing it another way ;)

Cheers

AnDy

Nicool
06 June 2005, 10:41 PM
It is said it is not possible to renumber components (vertices, edges,..) in Maya's engine. Did you manage to do it?

westiemad
06 June 2005, 10:49 PM
i am using a different method, which is crap and slow. I know its easy to do in houdini, but would look cool in maya, shame really. I was gonna change the face name, but this requires sorting of 2 arrays so they match with each other, and its been a long day where I got lost in the baking heat, so i'm not up to coding that tonight. At the moment everyface has to be queryied (sp), which is woefully slow.

MCronin
06 June 2005, 05:59 AM
Why don't you just create a custom integer attribute and fillin the value at each face/vertex however you want and then just reference that attribute as needed? Does what you are doing require that you actually change the vertex numbers?

westiemad
06 June 2005, 10:31 AM
Hello MCronin, long time no see. Ideally I'd like to re-assign the face number, I could reassign the face names, although this will take some sorting, and I might try it today. Its an amusing challange for me, so will give me something to think about. Its not do or die, I'm just trying to be clever :P. How are you by the way?

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2005, 10:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.