View Full Version : Theories on Color and Vision:

06-12-2005, 06:39 PM
The two authors below have provided me some extremely useful theories, ideas and general
‘food for thought’ through their writings over the years.
In particular, I'd recommend those bolded:

Books by EH Gombrich:

The Image and the Eye
Art and Illusion
The Uses of Images
The Sense of Order
The Story of Art

Books by Faber Birren:

Creative Colour
Principles of Colour: A Review of Past Traditions and Modern Theories of Colour Harmony

Enjoy :)

06-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Hey Chris, I found Gombrich when I was studying and have gained much from his books too;)

I'll look up Faber Birren...

I'd like to add a little gem I've had with me for years... It's called 'crystal and dragon' by David Wade. On the theories of structure and fluidity in art.

Cheers for the headsup;)

Anyone else got any solid books on composition and/or colour theory? They've both been bumped up on my todolist...

06-12-2005, 09:19 PM
well i know that color theory books by Johannes Itten are the best on the my college our teacher used one of his books to teach us color was amazing how much i improved in coloring..i still want to buy his's on my list of most

here's a link to one of his books

06-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey thanks Stealth Pharaoh, looks like a really serious read;) cheers :beer:

I just want to add this book

WuciousWong_principles of form and design (

I use it as a reference for ideas when I can't quite figure out what I want to change about a piece, it's always been really helpful

06-13-2005, 12:20 AM
That looks like a great find there, Stealth Pharaoh; I'll have to check that out - thanks :)

Does it include anything about 'light-mixing' as opposed to 'color-mixing' at all?

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2005, 12:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.