View Full Version : Ram opinion needed

06 June 2005, 10:40 PM
Hi all,

I've decided to get more ram for 3d modeling and model compiling for games. I was looking at getting this corsair 1gb stick But, I am currently running 2x256mb sticks of ram dual channel and have 2 more dimms open for dual channel. Now... i was wondering, should I get the 1gb stick, then get another 1gb stick later on and run them dual channel. Or should I go for 2x512 sticks now instead of the gb stick and have 4 dimms running dual channel? Is there advantages/disadvantages of doing these different things?

thanks alot,


06 June 2005, 02:23 AM
Well, the benefit of waiting for the second 1gb is that you'll get another gig. If you get the 2x 512, you'll get DC, but to upgrade a gig after that, u'll either have to lose DC anyways, or have to buy 2x1 gig.

The benefit of DC isn't so great that you can't do without it for a couple months until the next stick.

06 June 2005, 03:05 AM

ok thanks alot for the advice :). I will hopefully be getting the other gb stick of ram within 3 weeks or maybe less. I just want better modeling and compiling speeds and also good render times. Right now the ram is my main bottle neck.

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2005, 03:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.