LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : most effective avi compression?

10-14-2002, 03:29 PM
I'm hoping someone here can help me.. . I'm trying to figure out the best settings using the DivX 5 codec to get the best compression I can with good quality video. I'm seeing so many animations at 640x480 that are like a minute long, and are still only like 7 MB in size, how on earth is this done? I've fiddled with the codec settings over and over, and I can't even get half the quality at double the file size!

Canc someone give me the skinny on how do dial in these settings?

10-20-2002, 11:52 AM
I would think that the problem is that you're only doing a 1-pass, CBR. Try doing a 2-pass vbr instead, this will save bitrate for when it's actually needed (heavy movement) and reduce the use of it in scenes with little motion, static background for instance.

11-11-2002, 02:22 PM
I have had great success with this codec, what are you ouputting from?

11-11-2002, 02:55 PM
Hey Danny,

Do you use Sorenson with discreet Media Cleaner ?

11-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Yup, I find discreet cleaner very effective, although Sorensen does seem to kill the low tones somewhat. If you want to check out one I prepared earlier go to:

there are some artifacts I must admit but for a 1min 40 trailer at 5.2 megs I think it works,

07-15-2005, 06:29 AM

I do quite a bit of work with Daktronics boards and other "odd-format" video boards. I'm currently working on a project where a 640x624 animation is converted to an 8320x48 display. I've been trying to find a decent compression method for .avi files. I tried DivX... the anims look good... but still aren't small enough (e.g. 5 min AE animation = 1.8GB). Is there another codec that I should consider for a WindowsXP platform??

Any help is appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2005, 06:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.