View Full Version : lighting a character

rv-el
10 October 2002, 04:52 AM
I was wondering if anybody had any good links to some tutorials on lighting (characters) in 3dsmax.. i'm using 4.2 I know quite a bit about lighting and i've played around a lot with it, but it always seems to be a pain in the ass to get everything on the character looking right. somtimes i'll get one part looking good and another part or texture will be too bright. I basically just need to know a good lighting set up with brightness values and colors.
thanks

ilasolomon
10 October 2002, 11:23 PM
the 'THREE LIGHTS' method is good, but you should link the lights
to the camera (if you want to change the POV then)
& the '3 lights' method is something like this:

a spot light with shadow, angle 30 to 60 degree off the camera
point to the subject, name this KEY LIGHT.
one omni or spot in behind the subject, multiplier 2 or 3 & almost
toward the camera (with a 15 degree but try & find the best angle), name this BACK LIGHT.
now an omni or spot without shadow below the camera level,
pointed to the subject, between the KEY LIGHT & CAMERA, this is
your FILL LIGHT probably.
you should play with the light colours & multipliers.
for more accurated result you can add 2 or more lights, for
lightening the dark shadows of the KEY LIGHT on the floor & for
reflecting light from the ground, wall, etc.
this is just a basic way of lighting, but very simple & affective.

rv-el
10 October 2002, 08:54 AM
linking the lights to the camera.. awesome. thanks man, i know about 3pt lighting, but the details you gave will really help. should i have only the one main light cast shadows.. i think one of my main problems is that one of the lights, the ones i put behind, will end up casting light on the upper lip and other downward faces i want dark... such as also right below the eyebrows etc... i'll make it really bright and blue and get a nice rim around the character but because its angled mostly low, it will hit parts i dont want it to hit.

Mangaka604
10 October 2002, 05:07 AM
I generally don't link lights to the camera only because if your camera is animated, then your lights move with the camera which makes this look very odd. I usually set up a lighting rig which is basically my Key, Fill and 1 or 2 rims, parented into a spline drawn in the shape of an arrow. I then point the arrow into the camera lens and leave it there. If the camera is animated, then I just point it into the average direction into the camera.

Remember that you can do alotta stuff in post too....lighting and post go hand in hand.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.