View Full Version : Help!! I cannot figure out how to make this effect!

04 April 2005, 03:06 AM
I am trying to imitate the effect shown in this image:
It is essentially just a raised border around the image.
I am using photoshop 5.5

can anyone tell me how to achieve this?
[I know, Im a noob !, but I appreciate any help :) ]

04 April 2005, 07:58 PM
It's fairly easy if you have layer styles, which I don't remember if 5.5 does. If so, then..

1. Hit the layer styles button in your layers palette ( the italicized f ) and choose bevel/emboss, keep default settings and click ok.
2. Control-click the layer to select the object.
3. From the menu, choose select>modify>contract and enter 5 pixels
4. hit control-J to copy the selection to a new layer. This should copy the layer style as well.
5. double-click the bevel/emboss icon in this new layer in your layer palette to open the style dialog.
6. change the bevel type to down instead of up.
7. Thats the basic method, you can tweak the bevel amounts and smoothness for your desired results.

This is coming from CS version, so again, I apologise if these functions don't work in 5.5

04 April 2005, 04:59 AM
Actually PS5.5 has the very first set of "layer style" filters. They're very basic by todays standards, but they can still be functional.

Here try this site:

And then if not that, try here:

These are some interesting border effect filters: -- i used these when i had PS5.5.

Other than what's above, try this Google for "photoshop bevel filter ("

05 May 2005, 03:46 AM
Thanks for those plug-ins, some of those were really neat. :)

The only problem is that I am adding more thumbnails of work to this guys site.
The thumbnails he has already use that effect, and i do not have the originals of those pictures.

And I want them to match. :(

I am starting to hear rumor of an effect called Contour in photoshop 7> that can be used to make this?
Do you think that's the effect the original site designer used?

05 May 2005, 02:43 PM
Yes Contour does exist post v.7 :) It's kind of a subset of the bevel style. Basically it lets you shape the bevel based on a curve and would also work for your above picture. I don't personally use contour very often, so I don't know what curve shape you'd use for the above effect.

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2005, 02:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.